Restaurants need student patrons

When I first came to live in the little town of Starkville, I didn’t know my way around, the culture of its citizens or what was available to do (except the clubs or the bowling alley or Wal-Mart at some wee hour of the morning). When it came to getting something to eat, I stuck to the chains because I wasn’t so sure of some of these “hole-in-the-wall” restaurants that I saw. I preferred to stick with what I knew: Applebee’s, Wendy’s, Waffle House, etc.
    Soon, though, some of my friends started dragging me along with them when they ate at the local flavor of restaurants around Starkville, and that is the best thing they could have ever done to add to my college experience.
    These local restaurants are small and comfortable. If you frequent them, soon the employees will know you by name and know what your favorite dish is. It’s hard to get that personal touch in chain restaurants where the menu is often bland and the service can be quite mechanical.
    Local restaurants also need your support. It’s hard to run any small business.. These entrepreneurs need us to patronize their businesses so we can keep a little diversity and fun, homey atmosphere in our fast-paced college lives.
    There are the more well-known local restaurants, such as Rosey Baby and Oby’s, and some of the newer additions like The Veranda, the Courthouse Grill, and Peter O’Patrick’s. These still feel like “city restaurants” to me, which is wonderful if that is what you are in the mood for. I like all those type of restaurants, too, but if you are looking for something different, you should look at little further.
    For Italian, Stromboli’s is my pick. They have wonderful strombolis, pizzas, calzones, sandwiches, pasta and so on, all with a great small-town atmosphere. They offer delivery, too, if you want to have pasta and watch the game.
    If in the mood for barbecue, there are two great restaurants available. First, there is The Little Dooey, which has sandwiches, brisket, fried green tomatoes and many other options. Second, there is Petty’s, which has a great outdoor sitting area and serves all the types of barbecue but with a different flavor. This is great for the upcoming spring weather.
    If you just want a good home-cooked hamburger, Christy’s can’t be beat. Don’t order a double burger unless you are really hungry and have a big mouth because it is huge! They also have an assortment of other items to choose from. They completed a new building earlier this year, so more seating is available. They also deliver.
    If you just want to get out of Starkville for an evening, take a short drive to West Point and try out Anthony’s. They have a unique marinade that is irresistible, and I have yet to find a place cheaper for some of the cuts of meat. It is usually quiet and spacious, but it still has the feel of a good small-town restaurant.
    Another option is the Old Hickory Steak House in Columbus. They also have excellent price, and you can’t beat the rustic atmosphere. Try the sirloin for two if you’re hungry. They grill everything over coals in the front of the restaurant; it’s interesting to watch as you’re paying your bill.
    Though I still eat at my favorite chains, I love discovering new places. Often, you get so much more out of the experience in the way of taste, atmosphere and service. Support these local restaurants, and experience something out of the ordinary.
    JanaZ Hatcher is a junior political science and psychology major.