Starkville Police continue investigation on Bulldog Lanes incident

The Starkville Police Department has initiated an investigation of some of its officers concerning an incident at Bulldog Lanes on March 1.
    The Starkville Police Department has not issued a decision about the affair since the investigation has not been concluded.
    After public concern that local investigators would not remain objective, the FBI was invited as an objective party to aid in the investigation, said Lindley. On March 5, Starkville Police asked FBI agents from Columbus to help in exploring the complaints surrounding the occurrence.
    “We look forward to working with the FBI and anticipate that this will help speed this investigation to its conclusion,” said Lindley to The Starkville Daily News.
    Dr. Mfanya Tryman, a Mississippi State University professor and president of the local chapter of the NAACP, said that he wanted a neutral party without personal connections with the police department to conduct the investigation. He added that some members of the Oktibbeha County Justice Coalition had contacted the state’s attorney general in regard to the incident.
    The incident started when staff members at the bowling alley tried to force Ashley Shellon Ware, 18, to leave. When she refused to go, the police were called. One officer arrived, but the situation worsened and additional officers were called in.
    According to Lindley, an altercation between patrons and officers ensued. One adult and two juveniles were arrested on charges of disorderly conduct.
    During the arrest at the bowling alley it was alleged that officers used improper and excessive force, Lindley said. These claims were taken seriously and an investigation into the matter began.
    The Starkville Daily News reported that one male suffered a broken shoulder while another girl reportedly coughed up blood after being choked.
    Tryman gave some suggestions to help resolve the issue and prevent it from happening again. In The Commercial Dispatch, Tryman said he asked for city police to attend sensitivity training, for regular meetings to take place between Starkville Police and community leaders, for the officers accused to be suspended without pay and for all charges against those arrested at the scene be dropped.
    Lindley responded that the requests for the officers to be suspended and for the charges against the four youths be dropped were inappropriate until the investigation of the incident is concluded.
    A videotape of the incident is said to exist. Assistant Police Chief John Outlaw requested that anyone with a videotape of the event turn it over to the police or FBI agents.
    He said that anything less would be considered legally wrong.
    Call 323-4131 if you have any additional information that may help.