Matthew’s Reviews 3 1/2 stars out of 5

It may be the dead of winter here on earth, but in the groovy galaxy of Smash Mouth, the bikinis are always in season, and the surf is always up. Smash Mouth is back with their third album, Smash Mouth. The CD comes in succession of the mafia-influenced Fush Yu Mang and the gleefully tongue-in-cheek Astro Lounge. These days, the rock scene is dominated by angry, rapping Afro-Saxons (Linkin Park, Papa Roach) and juvenile Blink 182 Owannabes’ (Sum 41).
    Fortunately, every trend comes with a good misfit, and Smash Mouth is a most fitting misfit. While other bands are lashing out at the world or just celebrating puberty, these crazy Californians are having fun, cranking out one throwback party song after another. Two and a half years after Astro Lounge, the party continues with Smash Mouth.
    Early in the CD is “Your Man,” a gleaming Ferrari of a tune powered by Greg Camp’s cruise-control guitar chords and cosmetically enhanced with witty lyrics about a girl who just can’t take a hint.
    The next track is “Pacific Coast Party,” a vintage O70s hip shaker that falls somewhere between the Beach Boys’ “Good Vibrations” and the “Charlie’s Angels” theme song.
    In addition to his flaming guitar licks, Camp serves as the band’s principle songwriter, penning 10 of the album’s 13 tracks. “She Turns Me On,” features lead singer Steve Harwell, whose goofy, happy-go-lucky vocals are given full justice by Camp’s carefree lyrics like “kiss it goodbye on the fly.”
    The band’s delightful nostalgic appeal is brilliantly showcased in “Shoes ON’ Hats.” Infectious synthesizer grooves, reminiscent of the Cars’ “Just What I Needed” provide the perfect backdrop for more of Camp’s era-savvy lyrics like “just going deaf to my hi-fi records.”
    The CD ends with “I’m A Believer,” a remake of the 1967 Monkees hit featured on the “Shrek” soundtrack.
    With Smash Mouth, the band continues their quest to put the fun back in rock. With streamlined, gold-plated grooves, laughable lyrics and a fine flare for everything 30 years ago, this is one throwback you won’t want to throw away.
    In short, Smash Mouth is the happy remedy to the dreary Papa Roach blues. It is the perfect beach party album. I don’t care if it is 40 degrees outside, it’s time to have some fun for a change!