Wellness classes offered by OCH

Since Jan. 1, many New Year’s resolutions have been made and some already broken. The Wellness Connection of Oktibbeha County Hospital is now offering a six-week weight management program to help keep the ever-popular weight loss resolution for a lifetime. Renee Taylor, a registered dietician, and another exercise specialist will lead the program in topics such as reading food labels, counting calories, fat grams, and carbohydrates, meal planning, the value of exercise, fad diets, metabolism, and overall behavior modification.
    The Second Annual Millennium Meltdown will meet Tuesdays from 5:30 until 7:00 pm beginning today and ending March 5.
    “The first night we will take an initial assessment of height, weight, body fat percentages, heart rate, blood pressure, thigh and waist measurements,” Taylor said. “We will measure weight weekly and a final assessment.”
    Taylor said participants eat low calorie meals Tuesdays, keep the recipes, keep food diaries during the week to give to their personal dietician for comments, and work with their personal trainer during the week to ensure correct form and motivation.
    “The goal is not for rapid weight loss but behavior changes,” Taylor said. “We want to get to the root of the weight problem and learn the right way to exercise.”
    Taylor said, “Long-term weight management is the goal. This is a nutrition, exercise, and behavior modification program designed to assist in long-term weight management.”
    Justin Branton, MSU sophomore said, “This program is a great way for people to find out how they can live a healthy lifestyle and learn to keep those healthy habits.”
    “That’s great!” Samantha Massaro, MSU sophomore said, “I personally don’t know exactly what I should eat and how to exercise correctly. It is something everyone can use more education on.”
    Fees are $75 for Wellness Connection members and $115 for non-members. Classes meet in the Oktibbeha County Hospital Educational Facility.
    Interested? Call 323-WELL (9355).