Club Excalibur offers late nights, good times

Over the last few months, there has been much controversy surrounding the opening of Club Excalibur. In the beginning, J.B. Hunt, managing partner of Freelance Entertainment of Club Excalibur, wanted to bring a strip club to the area, but a community outcry caused the owners to rethink their choice of entertainment. “We tried to make the community understand that we were bringing entertainment under a controlled environment,” Hunt said, “but the church groups and politicians began attacking me and my family.”
    After much debate, the owners decided to put in a dance club instead of a strip club.
    Club Excalibur is located 10 miles outside of Starkville, approximately 15 minutes from the Mississippi State campus.
    The club opened Oct. 4, but it was a soft opening, meaning that it was not advertised in order to see how the opening would go and to train the staff before the grand opening Oct. 27.
    Because Club Excalibur is in the county, there is no set opening or closing time.
    Hunt said the club stops serving alcohol at midnight, but the doors remain open until 2 a.m. or 3 a.m.
    “We keep our doors open so that our customers can sober up a little before going home,” Hunt said.
    Occasionally, Club Excalibur has techno marathons from midnight to 5 a.m.
    “We go until the last person leaves,” Hunt said.
    According to Hunt, Club Excalibur has live bands and great entertainment to go along with the dance floor.
    Thursday nights are Power 92 nights, which Hunt says have been pretty successful for the club.
    Live bands perform at Club Excalibur every Friday and Saturday night, but recently, the club has focused on Sunday night entertainment.
    “Every once in a while, people want a place to go on Sundays,” Hunt said. “There are few things to do and few places open on Sunday, but Club Excalibur will be open and ready to entertain.”
    The Club Excalibur entertainment lineup includes Ziggy Schwagg, coming the first week of February, Puerto Rican Rum Drunks, Fabulous Flames, Shelter and Shaggadoo, playing tonight.