MSU track finishes strong at LSU Purple Tiger Invitational

Mississippi State’s track and field teams got great performances from the men’s sprint corps and women’s distance events at the Louisiana State Purple Tiger Invitational Saturday in Baton Rouge, La. The 16th-ranked Bulldogs dominated the 60 meter in the Carl Maddox Field House, taking three of the top five places. Junior Pierre Browne placed second (6.73) with sophomore Marquis Davis coming in third (6.74) and senior Dion Crabbe finishing fifth with a personal-best time of 6.78.
    Also turning in good performances for the men were seniors Viktor Mara and Tim Huddleston in the weight throw.
    Mara placed second with a personal-best throw of 58-3 1/4 with teammate Huddleston placing third with a throw of 55-2.
    Former junior college all-American Elmore McConnell placed second in the open 800 meters, coming in with a time of 1:55.76, while teammate Danny Ledford came in sixth with a 1:58.36 mark. Junior Kevin Pittman placed third (16-0) in the pole vault.
    On the women’s side, senior Elisha Williams landed the nation’s fourth-best jump of the year, leaping 20-3 to finish first and qualify provisionally for the NCAA Indoor.
    Freshman Tiffany McWilliams had an outstanding day, placing second in the championship flight of the mile (4:59.65) and third in the 800-meter championship race (2:13.34).
    Canadians Meggan Hodge (10.00.49) and Christine Zawaski (10:04.49) finished 4-5 in the championship flight of the 3000 meters.
    “We’re really pleased with the personal best marks set today,” coach Al Schmidt said. “Our men’s sprint group did great against the Texas schools here, who rank in the top in the nation.”
    MSU’s indoor track teams will be back in action on Feb. 10 at the Gator Invitational in Gainesville, Fla. Two weeks later, the Bulldogs will travel back to Fayetteville, Ark. Feb. 23 and 24 for the Southeastern Conference Championships.