Memphis still looking for bowl bid after 30 years

The Memphis Tigers overwhelmed everyone last year when they finished with a record of 6-5, their first winning record in six years. But this year they’re going for the gold–a bowl game. The Tigers have not been to a bowl game in over 30 years. The last time was in 1971, when they played in the Pasadena Bowl after winning the Missouri Valley Conference title. Memphis will bring in second-year coach Tommy West’s up-tempo spread offense, led by quarterback Danny Wimprine, who threw for 1,329 yards and 14 touchdowns and emerged as the deep passing threat the Tigers program has lacked since the early 1990s. Former quarterback Travis Anglin will now take post at receiver and will be Wimprine’s deep target. Darron White is a converted running back that is not afraid of making the difficult catch over the middle. Other receivers include Antoin Harden and Tavares Gideon.
    Dante Brown led the Tigers in rushing and made a bid to become only the third all time 1,000-yard rusher in school history. At 6 feet 2 inches and 215 pounds, Brown gave Memphis’ spread offense the productive back it needed. Brown will be backed up by freshman DeAngelo Williams, who rushed for 2,204 yards as a senior in high school.
    The offensive line is built for the spread offense. Only one of the projected starters is over 300 pounds. Right tackle Wade Smith, a 266-pound converted tight end, will be the Tigers leader on the line. Joining him will be Doug Whittacker, a 295-pound converted defensive lineman.
    Defensively, Memphis is weak. The defensive line will be working with their first-year coach, Craig Bowler, a former Dallas Cowboys line coach. For the second straight year, the Tigers have a lost an all-conference safety that left school early to enter the NFL draft. To replace Glenn Sumter, Derrick Ballard was moved from linebacker to secondary.
    The weakest part of the Tigers’ game is their misguided special teams. Last year, they struggled with the deep snap. Even worse, kicker and punter James Gaither missed spring workout because of surgery to remove a tumor from his ear.
    The Tigers are predicted to finish fourth in Conference USA and are ranked No. 59 in the nations forecast.
    Mississippi State will travel to Memphis Oct. 19. Last year State pulled out a second-half win over the Tigers, beating them 30-10 and outscoring UM 30-0 in the second half.