College football goes electronic

In week four of “Season X,” Mississippi State defeated Western Division foe Auburn by the score of 24-21. John Michael Marlin’s field goal became the difference in the SEC opener for the Bulldogs. Mario Haggan was the SEC Defensive Player of the Week with nine tackles, a fumble recovery and an interception returned for a touchdown. Texas A&M pulled off the Upset of the Week beating Virginia Tech 30-29. The A&M Wrecking Crew defense was in full swing holding Lee Suggs to a total of 47 yards.
    In the SEC Game of the Week, the Tennessee Volunteers hammered the Spurrier-less Florida Gators by the score of 56-35. Rex Grossman passed for 411 yards in the Florida loss, also throwing three interceptions. Casey Clausen was near perfect in the Big Orange victory, throwing for 531 yards and six touchdowns with only one turnover. Clausen leads the SEC in passing and total yards.
    The National Offensive Player of the Week was Clausen, whose stats are noted above. The Volunteers next game will be against unranked Rutgers.
    The National Defensive Player of the Week was CB Nick Linder from Iowa State. Nick had three interceptions in the Cyclones’ 45-16 win over Troy State. Iowa State plays the University of Nebraska next week.
    In the Top Ten, Virginia Tech and Florida fell to 23rd and 12th respectively. Tennessee moves up to No. 3, while Texas solidifies the top shot in both polls.
    Next week, Mississippi State will challenge LSU, the defending SEC West Champion, Alabama will face Arkansas and in the Game of the Week, Florida State at Louisville.