Republican leader to speak at MSU

Mississippi politics past, present and future are just some of the possible topics for Haley Barbour’s on-campus address this evening. The prominent republican politician will speak in the Memorial Hall auditorium at 5:00 p.m. According to James Cresswell, chairman of the MSU College Republicans, Barbour’s speech is open-ended.
    “He could speak on any number of things,” says Cresswell. “Maybe the state, maybe republican politics or maybe politics in general.”
    Cresswell says Barbour’s record should attract students to the address.
    “He’s been through the political arena and learned a lot of lessons. He’s got a lot to teach,” Cresswell said.
    “The fact that a figure that high up in the Republican Party would visit is pretty significant,” said Barry Henagan, a senior, and former intern for Congressman “Chip” Pickering.
    It did not take much to attract the elder statesman to Mississippi State’s campus. Barbour is on a statewide speaking tour.
    “He approached us about it,” Cresswell said. “He’s been meaning to meet with college republican groups across the state. We were happy to oblige him. He wants to speak to the campus … and we’re helping him out.”
    Although a graduate of Ole Miss and its law school, Barbour is a major contributor to a scholarship at Mississippi State that bears his name. The award recognizes the achievements of a selected political science major each year. According to Cresswell, Barbour’s name brings a number of contributors to the scholarship.
    Currently, Barbour is a lobbyist and chairman of the campaign to re-elect Congressman “Chip” Pickering. Pickering faces incumbent democrat Ronnie Shows in a heated battle for Mississippi’s new third Congressional district,
    which includes Oktibbeha county. Under Barbour’s leadership, Pickering is ahead of Shows in most polls and has raised, by some estimates, at least two times the amount of money Shows has.
    “I’m happy to see he’s now running Chip’s campaign,” Henagan said. “I’m sure that his presence will be felt.”
    According to Cresswell, Barbour is “one of the most important lobbyists in (Washington) D.C. at this moment.” He serves as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Barbour, Griffith and Rogers, a division of Golin-Harris, and a member of the Interpublic Group of Companies.
    Barbour is also the Chairman of Policy Impact Communications and a member of the Board of Directors of Mississippi Chemical Corporation.
    Barbour served two terms as Chairman of the Republican National Committee from 1993-1997. During that time, he oversaw the historic mid-term elections of 1994 that gave republicans control of Congress for the first time in decades. That same election brought about the Contract with America legislation and made former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich a household name.
    Barbour was a member of President Ronald Regan’s administration, serving as the Director of the White House Office of Political Affairs. From 1989 to 1993, Barbour was a director of Amtrak. He worked with President George W. Bush’s 2000 campaign, chairing its Washington, D.C., advisory committee.
    “Haley Barbour is an internationally known and respected political figure,” Henagan said.
    Barbour serves as the Vice Chairman of the International Democrat Union, an international organization founded by President Regan and British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. He also serves as Chairman of the Union for Freedom and Democracy in the Americas.
    As for the future, Barbour is an often-discussed potential candidate for Mississippi Governor in 2003. While he has yet to officially declare his intentions, political observers across the state say it’s a done deal. A seventh-generation Mississippian, the 52-year-old Barbour calls Yazoo City home. He and his wife, Marsha, have two sons. Barbour is a deacon and former Sunday School teacher in the First Presbyterian Church of Yazoo City.
    For more information, call Cresswell at 324-3435.