Construction completed on Hunter Henry Center

The much talked-about Hunter Henry Center opened for business last Thursday-kind of. The MSU Foundation, Alumni Association and the office of external affairs began moving into the facility last week, but the task is far from completed.
    “Our main concern was that we move into the facility and get the gift processing facility up and running,” Amy Cagle, coordinator of communications for the MSU Foundation, said. “Everyone else is still moving in. The building is not 100 percent functional yet.
    “The staffs of the alumni association and the foundation are very excited about moving into the building.”
    Cagle said that all of the money for the facility came from fund-raising efforts, not from state funds.
    “We’re very proud of the fact that we have been able to raise funds for the building over these two years,” Cagle said. “It was built by private funds-no state funds have been used in the building.”
    Fundraising efforts have garnered $9.3 million for the construction of the Henry Center. Of that money, $3.1 million came from Henry, a 1950 alumnus and the former president of Dow Chemical USA.
    “We can’t wait for Hunter Henry to come and view the completed complex and see how the results of his generosity, coupled with the gifts of so many others in the MSU family, have enabled us to erect such a spectacular facility,” Dennis Prescott, vice president for external affairs, said.
    The 41,000-square-foot facility includes a ballroom and meeting rooms that can be used for conferences or break-out sessions, along with centralized donor recognition areas.
    In mid-November, a gala will be held at the center to recognize donors who have contributed over $50,000 for the Henry Center.
    Though the MSU Foundation and Alumni Association have raised enough money to cover the initial cost of construction, they hope to raise another couple million dollars for the operating endowement.
    “By the time all fund-raising efforts are complete, we would like to have about $11 million in hand to pay for furnishings and landscaping and to build an operating endowment,” Prescott said.
    “The endowment will support the building’s maintenance and operation.”
    Cagle said that people are already calling asking to reserve the building. “The building already has a demand from the public,” Cagle said.
    “We think the demand for the building will be incredible,” Prescott said.
    Cagle said that since the building can be used for so many activities, campus organizations and groups are encouraged to reserve the Henry Center.
    The office of external affairs handles reservations for the facility and will begin booking it in January.
    The formal opening of the building is planned for Super Bulldog Weekend 2003, with all alumni and friends invited.
    The Butler-Williams building, along with the guest house, will remain open. The office of facilities use will handle and manage the guest house.