Rick’s Checks ID

ID, the band formerly known as The Golden Mean, seeks to create some excitement at Rick’s Caf? Americain tonight.
    David Oswalt plays lead guitar for ID. He said loves playing rock ‘n’ roll, and he said his only problem is that he has had a hard time finding an audience to absorb his style in Columbus, where the band originated. He said he hopes to find a more excited crowd in Starkville since it is a college town.
    “Columbus has treated us very well,” Oswalt said. “But the people have a hard time getting into the shows. We know they like our music but we want to see that from them. It’s hard when you’re putting everything you have into the music on stage, and all you see are people just standing still in the crowd. We’re just looking for people to get down and enjoy our music.”
    Oswalt said he knows that Starkville audiences have a lot of different musical tastes. Oswalt said he looks forward to playing here a third time.
    “Playing at Rick’s has been fun every time,” Oswalt said. “Rick’s is one of our favorite places to play.”
    ID started playing together in February, 2001. All of the band members come from varied musical backgrounds. Their musical influences include bands such as Led Zeppelin, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Incubus and 311.
    “All of the band members have different musical tastes,” Oswalt said. “The one band that we all like is 311. 311 has had a huge influence on this band.”
    Having such a variety of influences creates a very distinct sound for ID. The sound exists somewhere between heavy metal, funk and jazz. Oswalt labeled the band’s sound as “real rock.”
    Oswalt said he hopes the band will find an agent and a manager in the near future. He said he dreams of touring nationally and making ID a household name. Oswalt pointed out one specific place that he would like to see the band play.
    “Hopefully one day you’ll see us on Saturday Night Live,” Oswalt said.
    Rick Welch, the owner of Rick’s, said he looks forward to ID playing on Friday night and he anticipates a pretty big crowd.
    “ID brought a lot of excitement both times they played here before,” Welch said. “The crowd grew from the first show to the second show. I think that the third crowd will be larger than the second show.”
    ID starts playing at 10 p.m. tonight. ID band members will have demos for sale at the show.