Eroica Trio makes MSU debut

Tomorrow night, a renowned musical trio will musically enlighted the Bulldog community at McComas Hall Theatre. No, it is not the Three Tenors; it is however, the beautifully talented Eroica Trio. These young ladies will light up the stage at 7:30 p.m.
    “This will be our first trip to Starkville. We are very excited and hope we have a good turn out,” pianist Erika Nickrenz said.
    The trio also consists of cellist Sara Sant’Ambrogio and violinist Adela Pe-a.The ladies have known each other since they were very young girls and have been a group for the past 16 years. At age nine, Nickrenz and Pe-a met at the Greenwich House Music School and began playing together. When Nickrenz was 12, she attended Red Fox Music Camp and met Sant’Ambrogio whose grandmother taught there. All three attended the Julliard School of Music and decided to join together and form the Eroica Trio.
    “When we started playing together it just clicked. We al knew that’s what we wanted to do together,” Nickrenz said.
    They won the prestigious 1991 Naumburg Award which lead to a Lincoln Center Debut. The Trio is signed with Angel/EMI Classical Records and has put out three recordings under the label. Nickrenz’s mother, Joanna, produced their CDs and is a three-time Grammy winner herself.
    Those who attend their performance Wednesday night will hear music from Brahms, Vivaldi, Beethoven and even Latin works. This season the Eroica Trio will give the American Premiere of Daniel Schyder’s “Trio” in Atlanta and wherever they perform. The Eroica Trio has toured all over the world from America to Asia to Europe and back again. On this tour they will travel all over the United States, Spain, Germany and many other locations.
    “We love what we do. We have such a passion for it that we want to take it anywhere audiences want to hear it,” Nickrenz said.
    The Trio has appeared on television shows including “The View” on ABC, CNN’s “Showbiz Today” and “Worldbeat,” “ABC News,” “CBS Saturday Morning,” A&E’s “Breakfast with the Arts,” The Oxygen Network, Bloomberg TV and Fox’s “The Crier Report.” The talented young ladies have been featured in such magazines as Elle, Glamour, Vanity Fair, Detour, Marie Claire, Bon Appetit, Time Out New York, Strings, Piano, Gramophone and Chamber Music and Strad. The New York Times credits them by saying they have an edge of the seat intensity to every note they produce.
    The Trio has also been nominated for Grammys, sold out prestigious halls including Carnegie Hall, and have happy home lives as well. All three come from musical backgrounds and have their own solo accomplishments as well.
    “Starkville is very lucky to have the Eroica Trio to perform. We at the Lyceum Series are very proud to welcome them,” Lisa Gray, graduate assistant said.
    The Eroica Trio is known to play over 300 years of world class music and is said to play it with such a passion that even songs heard before sound new. This performance is the first of the Lyceum Series for 2002-2003.They will have CDs for sale at McComas Hall Theatre and will sign autographs as well.
    Students’ admission is free with their student ID and adults are $15. For more information on the Eroica Trio visit their Web site at www.eroicatrio.com.
    The Eroica Trio is but the first of five performances the Lyceum Series has planned for the 2002-2003 season. For more information on the Lyceum Serie including a scheudule of events and season ticket information, call 325-4201 or log on to www.msstate.edu/dept/lyceum/.