Bulldogs have revenge on their minds

“Our slogan last year was credibility at the least, shock the world at the most,” Troy State head coach Larry Blankeney said. “Beating an SEC team by winning at Mississippi State was pretty shocking. Now we just hope to keep building.” The Trojans of Troy State marched into Starkville last year and humiliated the Bulldogs 21-9 on a dreary Homecoming evening. If that’s not enough motivation for the Bulldogs to whip the Trojans Saturday afternoon at Scott Field, then Mississippi State is in serious trouble.
    Troy State opened its season at powerhouse Nebraska. The only thing that saved the Cornhuskers from a loss was two punt returns for touchdowns. The Trojans led in total offensive yards with 347 to Nebraska’s 314. They also led in passing yards with 192 to the Cornhusker’s 114 through the air.
    The Trojans had to replace their most prolific passer in school history this year in Brock Nutter.
    “You don’t replace the experience and ability of a Brock Nutter overnight,” Blankeney said. “You simply try to fill the role.” Hansell Bearden has taken over at the helm of the Trojan offense. The 6-foot-2-inch, 200- pound sophomore has a 160-yard game average and completes just over 50 percent of his passes.
    Though Bearden has only thrown four touchdowns in the Trojans six games, he is still dangerous when you give him minimum time in the pocket. His main targets are sophomore Jason Samples and senior receiver Heyward Skipper. Samples leads the two with 416 yards and a 69-yard game average.
    The Trojans spread offense helps set up the running game that is led by sophomore DeWhitt Betterson and senior LeBarron Black. Both players have combined for over 750 yards in the past six games. Betterson, 6-foot, 210-pounds, has an outstanding 10.5 average per play. “LeBarron is a hard-nosed runner who understands the game and brings a great work ethic and mentality to the field each day,” running backs coach Mike Turk said.
    The Trojan defense is led by senior linebacker Naazir Yamini who has racked up 45 tackles (28 solo). Following Yamini in tackles is his counter part at linebacker, Gordon Williams who has 42 tackles (23 solo). Williams has come along way from back up last year to a superb starting player this year.
    The secondary has maintained most of the starters from last year and only gives up a game average of 153 passing yards. The Trojan secondary has only allowed five touchdown passes in its six games, but has only picked off three passes. Troy State has a major weak spot that could be exposed by the Bulldogs, their special teams. The Trojan special teams have allowed three punt returns for touchdowns and have had a punt blocked and returned for a touchdown. They have also missed three extra points.
    Last year Troy State was going through a transition season from I-AA to I-A. This season will be the programs first as a full I-A member. Athletic director Johnny Williams is excited about the move to I-A, “The move to NCAA I-A in football will give our student-athletes the opportunity to compete at the highest level, a benefit our other sports already enjoy,” he said.
    The Bulldogs and the Trojans will kick it off at 1:30 Saturday afternoon at Scott Field. Remember, you are allowed to bring your cow bell to Saturdays game. So, give ’em Hail State.