MSU Florist harmonizes with The Sopranos

Recently a Mississippi State University professional was selected to be a part of an HBO premiere party for the cast of “The Sopranos.” Lynette L. McDougald, business manager of the University Florist and a retail floristry management instructor, traveled to New York in early September to be a part of an eight-member floral design team that decorated the HBO event at the Rockefeller Center.
    McDougald, a native of Eupora, was a coordinator for the 1999 U.S. Women’s Open Championship at West Point’s Old Waverly golf course. She has also worked at the campus florist since 1998, with the full-service, student-staffed business at MSU.
    “A New York broker whom we deal with recommended that I be included in the team,” McDougald said. “People recognize your abilities, and he felt like I would be a good addition to the team.”
    Part of McDougald’s job was preparing table centerpieces for the 250 tables and buffet pieces using a $100,000 floral budget. She and the other team members began their work at 1 a.m. for the 9 p.m. HBO party.
    “My work actually began before I left Starkville, though,” McDougald said. “I was asked to locate California sources for unusual foliages and fillers.”
    Although McDougald and the other team members worked hard on the party, they were not able to attend the big event.
    “Everybody involved with ‘The Sopranos’ attended the party,” McDougald said. “Even ‘Sex in the City’ stars, New York-based stars and many HBO employees were there.”
    However hectic the job was, McDougald said she did enjoy her stay in New York City.
    “I got to see a lot of things,” McDougald said. “With the event being in Rockefeller Center, that was a bonus, in the heart of the city. Even the New York workers hadn’t worked there before.