Jous jams at Rick’s for United Way

Jous will play for charity and happiness in support of the United Way on Friday night at Rick’s CafZ Americain. As part of the United Way week on the Mississippi State campus, the Student Association asked Jous to play a show to support United Way. All of the money collected at the door on Friday night will go to benefit the United Way.
    The United Way has several different associations that they help including Boys and Girls Clubs and Sept. 11 relief programs.
    Jeremy Slocum, a member of the Student Association, helped select Jous.
    “We thought it would be a really good idea to get a band to help raise money for the United Way,” Slocum said. Darryl Brown plays bass for the band, and he said that Jous loves opportunities to play for charity, even if it means less money.
    “Giving is what life is all about,” Brown said. “If you don’t have love for your fellow man, you’ve got nothing. Even if playing for charity means that we play for no money at all, we’re glad to help out. We’re all about love.”
    Jous started playing music together in Tuscaloosa around 1992. All of the band members went to the University of Alabama, and they came together through a mutual love of rhythm and blues music.
    “Most of our music can be classified as rhythm and blues or soul music,” Brown said. “Although, our music has been influenced by everyone from Parliament Funkadellic to Fleetwood Mac. We just love music. We’re a party band. We love to see chaos from the stage.”
    Jous has played with many popular acts such as Willie Nelson, George Clinton and Destiny’s Child. Jous also started their own record label called Tusk Records. They plan on releasing a record next February and starting a tour next April.
    Regardless of the busy schedule, Jous still found time to play in Starkville for charity.
    Brown said that he knows that the music always comes back to the people who listen to it. Brown said he hopes that he can help out Jous’ audience by playing some music on Friday night.
    “We hope we can uplift the people with our music and make them forget about all of their pain and sorrows for a little while,” Brown said. “We’re coming to have fun, too. I hope the event will be a success.”
    Jous will begin playing at Rick’s on Friday at 10 p.m. Admission will cost $5 at the door. All of the proceeds will go to benefit the United Way. For more information about United Way services, call the United Way of North Central Mississippi at 323-3830 or log on to www.unitedway.com.