Starkville investigates recent crime spree

The search continues for a possible second suspect in three armed robberies and two car burglaries that occurred over a four-hour period Tuesday night. None of the victims were injured. According to the Starkville Police Department, Timothy Horatis Malone, 20, of Crawford, is charged with three counts of armed robbery and two counts of auto burglary. Malone was caught in the act at College Station apartments while allegedly burglarizing a four-door Honda Accord.
    Police believe the crime spree started in the highly student populated Cotton District on South Nash Street around 7 p.m. where a pedestrian was robbed at gunpoint. At 7:14 p.m. police responded to a second armed robbery at the University Inn. The third armed robbery occurred at the Ramada Inn around 10 p.m.
    Police also received reports of a car burglary at the Holiday Inn Express, but they are unsure exactly when it took place. The victim said the car was burglarized between 5:45 p.m. and 11 p.m.
    Starkville and Oktibbeha County law enforcement officials responded to a 911 call at 10:50 p.m. from a witness of the car burglary at College Station, which houses nearly 900 people, most of whom are students. Police recovered black gloves, a loaded semi-automatic handgun, a concrete brick and a “Scream” Halloween mask from Malone, Starkville Police Chief David Lindley said.
    Elizabeth Laughlin, 19, an East Mississippi Community College student, said she heard her car alarm go off Tuesday night. Upon exiting her apartment she saw a black male get in a car adjacent to her 1997 Honda Accord and drive off.
    “It all happened so quick, I just don’t remember that much,” Laughlin said.
    Laughlin said she was surprised at how quickly Starkville Police arrived on the scene.
    “They were here in what seemed like 30 seconds,” Laughlin said. “I think the Starkville police are the fastest I have ever seen.”
    Laughlin found her passenger side window broken out and purse missing.
    Starkville Police apprehended Malone in a vehicle on the side opposite of Laughlin’s apartment in the same complex. Malone was arrested without incident, according to Lindley.
    Lindley said investigators believe Malone is linked to the crimes around the city due to the evidence and Malone’s method of operation.
    Anyone with information regarding any of these crimes is encouraged to contact the Starkville Police Department at 323-4135 or Crimestoppers at 1-800-530-7151.