Thursday night fever

Mississippi State University will welcome a contemporary dance troupe, Ailey II, on Nov. 21, at the Lee Hall Auditorium in association with the Lyceum Series. Ailey II (formally the Alvin Ailey Repertory Ensemble) is a New York-based troupe that was founded by Alvin Ailey in 1974. It gives a showcase for dancers and choreographers inspiring for careers in dance. Auditions to be a part of the company see dancers from all over the United States.
    Ailey II is directed by Sylvia Waters, who is credited for the growth and popularity of one of the country’s most vibrant young dance companies.
    The company uses works by such dance masters as Alvin Ailey, Talley Beatty and Judith Jamison. The troupe has won many awards for its outreach to elementary, middle and high schools across the country.
    In addition to performing their craft, Ailey II will conduct a class earlier that day at the Joe Frank Sanderson Center.
    “This is an outstanding group of young dancers, and it is so exciting to have them teach our students,” MSU dance instructor Debby Funderburk said. “All students interested in movement and fitness, dance, cheerleading, pom squad and musical theater should make every attempt to attend this class. Ailey II has performed twice at MSU in the past 10 years, both times to packed houses, but this is the first time we have been able to offer a master class for our students with the dancers.”
    The Ailey II master class is scheduled for Thursday at 10 a.m. in Studio A of the Sanderson Center. To inquire about participation, call Funderburk at 325-9250.
    Tickets for the Lee Hall Auditorium event for the 7:30 p.m. performance are $10 for adults, $8 for senior citizens and $6 for children. Parties of 10 or more can have a group rate of $8 per ticket by arranging in advance. MSU students are admitted free with student identification. All tickets can be purchased at the door.
    For more information, contact Lisa Gray or Jake Pettit at 325-4201.