Discovery Day to help attract new students

A 50-foot alpine climbing tower, sponsored by the Army ROTC, will stand on the Drill Fileld today and Saturday.

This Saturday, Mississippi State University will play Kentucky at home, and Enrollment Services will host “Discovery Day” on the Drill Field for prospective students. Discovery Day is an event where prospective students have the opportunity to get a hands-on experience of Mississippi State University.
    Prospective students and their parents are invited to look at displays, exhibits and demonstrations on the Drill Field from 9 a.m. until noon. There will be some 75 exhibits and displays by academic and student-supported departments. They will listen to MSU’s most talented entertainers, such as the MSU Stage Band and Black Voices and experience some foods that MSU is famous for, such as MSU ice cream.
    Prospective students will have an opportunity to purchase special discounted tickets to the game for only $10.
    John Dickerson, director of Enrollment Services, said that the Drill Field will be set up in a carnival-like atmosphere with ice cream, popcorn and soft drinks. Students will come primarily from surrounding high schools and community colleges, but some will travel from all over the country. Enrollment Services expects 3,000 to 4,000 prospective students to attend.
    “It’s a good way to get to see what MSU has to offer,” Dickerson said.
    “Fall Discovery is an awesome time for prospective students to have the opportunity to ‘discover’ what MSU has to offer,” Courtney Jones, an MSU Roadrunner, said.
    “We have booths set up by the different departments here at Mississippi State. It features information on the university’s academic programs, social opportunities, history and tradition and many other exciting topics. The different booths are usually run by faculty or staff members from each department, which can really benefit the student when it comes to having questions,” Jones said.
    “All colleges and schools will be represented,” Dickerson said.
    “There will be games for young children, residence halls will be open with open rooms, Greek life will be present and it will also be Armed Services Recognition Day with a climbing tower and helicopters. It would be pretty interesting for current students to look at.
    “The football game is a big ticket for students to come to campus,” Dickerson said.
    Eric Graham, an enrollment counselor, said he believes that Discovery Day is a good program for Mississippi State University.
    “It’s good that many academic departments are willing to give up their Saturday,” Graham said.
    Graham said that prospective students can just show up and enjoy the morning. They are welcome to participate in everything MSU has to offer. Every semester MSU holds an event to entice prospective students. Every fall, MSU holds Discovery Day, and in the spring prospective students can test out of classes.
    “Roadrunners are critical. Having Roadrunners there allows prospective students to see people that graduated from their high school,” Graham said.
    “As Roadrunners, we have the opportunity to meet the students and help them find which department they would like information about. It’s a great time for us, because we really get to help promote all the incredible colleges and departments here at MSU,” Jones said.
    “Another great thing about being a Roadrunner is the fact that we can relate to the prospective students and really help calm their fears about college life and getting adjusted. We’ve been there before and understand what a tough decision it is as far as finding the place to continue your education,” Jones continued.