MSU grad gets comical

Eric Yonge, an MSU alumnus and Starkville resident, has managed to bring something new to Starkville’s literature collection. His technique of developing plot and incorporating illustrations is powerful but not quite traditional. Yonge has created comic books almost his entire life, and in high school, he began publishing his work. His book, “The Gunner,” featured the private life of a spy and was more than the average super-hero plot-line.
    “A lot of people expect super-heroes when they open a comic book, but I always tried to bring something a little more realistic to the table,” Yonge said.
    In college, Gundog Comics began publishing Yonge’s work, and it was soon being sold all over the world. After he graduated, however, Yonge put his comics on hold and began painting portraits around Starkville. He started to get business doing these portraits and a year later, opened Logo Design Guy, a business specializing in logo and Web page design.
    Not long ago, Yonge had the opportunity to get back into his old hobby. Jay Faerber, a well-known comic writer, began searching for an artist to illustrate his new story line, “The Hat Squad.” When offered the job, Yonge readily accepted despite the fact that he would have to work on the comic outside of his design job.
    “I go to work and draw for eight hours, then I come home and draw for six more,” Yonge said. “But I think it’s great that I can do something that I love for my profession. Not many people have that privilege.”
    Though the days are long, Yonge doesn’t see giving up Logo Design Guy as part of his future.
    “The comic industry isn’t good right now, and I want to concentrate on something that I can depend on,” Yonge said. “The comic thing is more of a hobby right now.”
    Yonge said that the story line throughout The Hat Squad is somewhat similar to that of “The Gunner” in the way that it leans towards a more realistic plot. It takes place in 1950 Los Angeles and follows four cops as they administer “tough justice … delivered the old-fashioned way: with pain,” as stated by Moonstone Books. Its self-contained, 48-page story targets an adult audience, but not necessarily with violence or sexual content.
    “I just like to do books that I can show to my entire family, whether it’s my girlfriend or my dad or whoever, and still have them interested. It’s a little more serious though, so I wouldn’t necessarily give it to a little kid who could be scared easily.”
    Although Yonge was able to write his own script for “The Gunner,” he only illustrates for “The Hat Squad.” To create a comic, a four-person team is usually required, including a writer, a penciler, an inker and a letterer. For “The Hat Squad,” however, there were only two.
    “I’m kind of a control freak,” Yonge said. “I like to do all of the art myself instead of having someone come in after me and finish it. It takes longer, but the quality turns out a lot better that way.”
    Getting back into his old hobby has made him think not only of being a part of the sequel to “The Hat Squad,” but also about bringing “The Gunner” back to life.
    For now, however, Yonge focuses on getting “The Hat Squad” released. It will be available in stores mid December, and will sell for $5. There will also be a signing in December, where customers can purchase an autographed copy.