Jammin’ on the Bayou

Grant Holzhauer
    Garbage frontwoman Shirley Manson spellbinds the audience after a brief rain shower.

The smell of Cajun food, good music and the spirit of New Orleans proved Voodoo Fest 2002 was in full effect. From 11 a.m. to after midnight, Nov. 2 carried the magic to every soul there. Music for all different tastes filled New Orleans City Park.
    “There’s easily something for everyone, and it would truly be difficult to find a mix like this anywhere else,” Layla Bellows of 360 Media said.
    Set back on the bayou and through the spooky swamps of Voodoo Island, the Voodoo Music Fest raises the spirits of the musical world for the last three years with a multitude of talent.
    Thanks in part to Halloween weekend in New Orleans, the Voodoo Music Fest has been the site of incredible day-long celebrations of music, art and culture of one of America’s most unique cities.
    The Rolling Stone stage featured the likes of the North Mississippi Allstars, Jack Johnson, Jurassic 5, Macy Gray and the Counting Crows.
    Those who attended Voodoo Fest for a laid-back scene enjoyed this stage and the atmosphere it endowed.
    After passing the smell of Creole-flavored peppers and specialty tents, the ravers found themselves a tent of their own.
    Playstation 2 sponsored a tent with the best DJ music to hit to the South. The Crystal Method closed the show with their hypnotic spins and laser show.
    Across the lagoon to the island held the Cox Communications stage that jammed and rocked the entire Fest day. Bands like Nappy Roots shared the stage with Sum 41, Down and (hed) p.e.
    The deep end of the Fest’s lineup featured two of the world’s most beloved female-fronted bands, Garbage and No Doubt, yet it was the energetic yet mellow vibes of 311 that won the band the status of headliner.
    Moshers and crowd surfers were no strangers to the island.
    Mississippi State University sophomore Dave Burgess was among those seen indulging in the crowd surfing, perhaps as a means to pass the time before 311 came on.
    “There’s a couple of bands I really want to see, but 311 is definitely the main reason I’m here,” Burgess said.
    Once Fest-goers crossed the bridge, the island seemed to have a party of its own. Filled with its own array of food booths, beer trailers and a separate trailer full of Playstation 2 games, everyone was sure to have a great time.
    Those privileged with VIP tickets reaped the benefits of backstage life with side-seats just above the stage, their own mini bar and a House of Blues/Much Music USA interview set and were just feet away from all the bands’ trailers.
    Nappy Roots poured their Southern hospitality throughout the audience. The crowd danced and sang along with the band. They even helped Nappy Roots give props to those who have passed away, such as Aaliyah, Notorious B.I.G., Tupac Shakur and many others including Run DMC’s recently deceased Jam Master Jay.
    The city of New Orleans presented Nappy Roots with a special honor for their talent and achievement.
    Most of the members of Nappy Roots said their favorite thing about Voodoo Fest was the diversity of the music.
    “We really enjoy coming to New Orleans,” R. Prophet of Nappy Roots said.
    Fellow Nappy Roots member Big “V” said he liked the opportunity to play in front of so many people.
    Voodoo fell from the sky during Garbage’s performance. Shortly after Shirley Manson belted out the chorus to “I’m Only Happy When it Rains” the heavens opened and the rain began to fall. Manson (sporting a platinum blond dye job) was clearly befuddled as she addressed the crowd, “Wasn’t that some creepy s-? I told you I was a witch.”
    Garbage and No Doubt have been touring together and have opened several gigs for the Rolling Stones on their current Licks tour. Both bands brought New Orleans a mystical flavor from the road.
    Gwen Stefani (Mrs. Gavin Rosdale) climbed the scaffold to view the audience that she no doubt owned. No Doubt mixed many songs from previous albums with a few from Rock Steady, which the audience appreciated.
    Besides the celebrities on stage, two infamous Louisianians were in attendance for the show. Sarah from “Road Rules Latin America” and Blair from “Road Rules The Quest” appeared to be enjoying the show along with everyone else.
    Rumors circled the area that Dave Matthews was there but it just seemed to be the Voodoo talking.
    Specialty tents included Beatgreets.com, Rollingstone.com, Much Music USA, the Army and many others who gave out various free samples. Many merchandise vendors were also circled throughout City Park.
    Steve Rehage, whose Rehage Entertainment produces Voodoo Fest every year, is said to be a big fan of music. In years past Rehage Entertainment has brought entertainers such as Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Missy Elliot, Bush and the Black Crowes. Rehage is a native of New Orleans and travels between there and New York and also produces Revlon’s Run/Walk for Women.
    For more information on Rehage Entertainment visit their Web site at http://www.rehage.com.
    Next year, Voodoo Fest is promised to bring more excitement, fun and entertainment to its fifth year.
    For more information on next year’s Fest visit the Web site at http://www.voodoomusicfest.com.