Music Makers tune up MSU

Music Maker Productions originated at Mississippi State University about 15 years ago. What makes this university organization so unique is that it is run strictly by MSU students. Who joins this organization? Any student with a passion for the music industry can try out, but it takes time and dedication. Members get the chance to see what goes on behind the scenes at concerts.
    Music Maker Productions’ main goal is to provide distinctive entertainment for the students of MSU and the Starkville community. Members book the artists and are also responsible for advertising.
    Once the date is set for the concert, the Music Makers begin their other duties: one member books the stage and light crew, one makes hotel arrangements for the artists and one is responsible for the catering. The members take care of every last detail to make the concert a success.
    Bonnie Horton, artist relations chairman, said all the hard work is definitely worth the time experience.
    “I am learning the skills now that I will need when I graduate and work in the music industry,” Horton said.
    Music Maker Productions is a diverse group of students from all different majors, which adds a little bit of spice into their club. Being from different departments, each member adds what they are learning at MSU to better music makers.
    As we all know, concerts cost money, but money is not something we always have. Music Maker Productions’ goal is to put on three to four shows a semester. The budget cut last year is making it hard for this to happen.
    Fortunately, Music Makers may have found the ticket for more concerts … the E-card. This card is an attempt to generate funds for music makers.
    The card itself holds discounts for all entertainment in Starkville. Not only does the card make for discounts at the local restaurants and stores, it also serves as an avenue to purchase concert tickets in advance. E-card holders also get to enter in the express entry door of each show. To learn more about the E-card log on to www.msstate.edu/org/mmp.
    The E-card can be purchased for $20 from any Music Maker or the ticket office in the Union.
    The Allman Brothers Band, Bob Dylan, George Strait, The Goo Goo Dolls, James Taylor, Widespread Panic, Tim McGraw, Jimmy Buffet and The Indigo Girls are only a few of the shows Music Makers have brought to Starkville.
    Raymond Brooks, director of Music Makers, said that without funding, it is hard to provide entertainment for the students and the community.
    “Music Maker Productions has a great reputation and artist do want to perform here, we just need the funds to make the concerts happen,” Brooks said.