Graduation to honor legends

Mississippi State sends another group of highly educated and skilled graduates into the world on Dec. 13 when the university celebrates its Fall 2002 commencement. While each graduation is a momentous occasion, especially to those receiving their diplomas, this semester’s graduates will share their honor with a Mississippi State sports legend and one of MSU’s best known and most respected officials.
    The 10 a.m. ceremony that Saturday morning in the Humphrey Coliseum celebrates the work of storied football and basketball broadcaster Jack Cristil and veteran MSU administrator Roy H. Ruby. It also marks the end of years of hard work for more than 1,400 degree candidates.
    “I’m glad to have four years behind me,” said Scott Royce, a graduating sociology/criminal justice major. “Now I’m ready for the next step.”
    Charlie Faggard, a graduating agriculture pest management major agrees. “I am ready to get out in the real world. There comes a time when you’re ready to get on with things. You’ve done all you can do in school.”
    Cristil, recognized for his five decades of service as “The Voice of the Bulldogs,” receives an honorary doctoral degree as part of the ceremonies.
    The Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning approved the honor at its Nov. 21 meeting. Cristil-whose 77th birthday is on Dec. 10-becomes the eighth person to receive an honorary doctorate from Mississippi State since the university began bestowing the high tribute in1999.
    A native of Memphis, Cristil studied broadcast journalism at the University of Minnesota in the 1940s. He returned home to work as an announcer for several minor league baseball teams. After hearing of a job opening at Mississippi State in August 1953, he sent audition tapes to legendary athletic director C.R. “Dudy” Noble, who hired him a short time later for that season’s football games.
    “Jack Cristil has been telling an important part of the Mississippi State story for the past half century,” said Interim President Charles Lee. “In the process, he has become an important part of a major segment of the university’s 124-year history.”
    Cristil holds numerous accolades for his work, including a record 21 separate selections as Mississippi Sportscaster of the Year. He is the only inductee into the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame that is not a coach or athlete. The National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association honored him with the Ronald Reagan Lifetime Achievement Award. The National Football Foundation gave him the Chris Schenkel Award for excellence in college broadcasting.
    “That unmistakable voice on the radio is as familiar and as comforting to multitudes of Bulldog fans as that of a dear friend,” Lee said. “It gives one pause to reflect on all of the history that Jack has witnessed, but that escalates into amazement when we stop to consider that he has been much more than a passive observer.
    “Jack Cristil has, in fact, been the best in the business during five tumultuous decades,” Lee said.
    Whether doctorate, master’s or bachelor’s, all of the degree earners will hear their commencement speech delivered by Ruby.
    Vice president for student affairs since 1985, Ruby is concluding his career as Mississippi State’s dean of education. Lee also expressed high praise for Ruby, a university alumnus who returned to work for his alma mater in 1964 and went on to hold a variety of leadership positions in the Division of Student Affairs.
    “It’s a high honor,” Ruby said of his selection as commencement speaker. “I’m tremendously grateful to Dr. Lee for asking me to speak.”
    “Countless university students, faculty, staff and friends have had the opportunity to appreciate Dr. Ruby’s tremendous interpersonal and administrative skills in one or more of the many offices he has held at Mississippi State,” Lee said. “Beginning in 1964 as program director for The Union, he progressed to coordinator of student activities, assistant dean of men, associate dean for student development, assistant to the vice president for student affairs and dean of student administrative services, among others.
    “Let us not forget, that he also directed the MSU branch campus in Jackson for several years,” Lee said. “When this latest duty as dean of education isadded to the list, I think we all can agree that Roy has had a most impressive career at Mississippi State.”
    Ruby, a Yazoo City native who was raised in Belzoni, holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees in political science from Mississippi State and a doctorate in higher education and student personnel from the University of Mississippi.
    Ruby is a retired officer in the United States Army Reserves and a former president of the board of trustees of the Starkville Public Schools.
    Ruby said he’s proud of his career at MSU. “I’ve loved every minute of it. It’s a wonderful institution with wonderful people. The Lord’s been good to me to let me have 40 years here.”
    Ruby has also been honored by the National Football Foundation, winning the Contribution to Amateur Football Award. He also has been recognized as an alumnus of the year by MSU’s Army ROTC program. He is a member of Phi Kappa Phi, Omicron Delta Kappa, Phi Alpha Theta, Pi Delta Epsilon, Phi Delta Kappa and Golden Key honor societies.
    Ruby plans to stay with the university as dean of education until a permanent president and provost are named. “They they’ll decide about this position,” he said.