North Korea, Boy Scout policy, Middle East explained

Columnist Thomas Sowell will occasionally write articles featuring his random reflections on current events. While I don’t purport to have Sowell’s analytical skill or wit, I will do the same here. This piece should also please Nathan Alday, as it is far from the standard essay.* If atheists, homosexuals, females or whatever group that doesn’t meet the qualifications that the Boy Scouts of America desire for their members, then they can form their own organizations. (Indeed, the last of those groups did so with great success decades ago). Just because some group does something that you like or has something that you want doesn’t mean you have any right to participate. An atheist has no more of a right to be an Eagle Scout than I, a political science major, have a right to an engineering scholarship.
    * While watching “The O’Reilly Factor” on Wednesday night, I was interested by Bill O’Reilly’s proposal that we try Osama bin Laden in abstentia to avoid a potentially dangerous public trial. While the idea appeals to me, I wonder if such a trial would not become exactly the spectacle that O’Reilly intends to avoid.
    * My illustrious editor at The Reflector, Wilson Boyd, asked me to explain why the United States threatens to invade Iraq but not North Korea. The answer, simply put-China. International relations is still ultimately based on nothing but power. China’s shadow looms large because of its large population and military.
    * I’m a bit disheartened that The Reflector hasn’t received more complaints about my articles. I like to think that I’m at least slightly controversial or interesting. Perhaps I write to too limited an audience.
    * Those who see an attack on Iraq as misguided often ask why the United States doesn’t attempt to topple the corrupt and tyrannical regimes in other Middle Eastern countries, particularly Saudi Arabia. First, toppling every autocratic government in the Middle East would leave the entire region in anarchy. Second, the existing governments-even the despicable House of Saud-are most likely better than the militant Islamic extremists that would take their place at this point in time. The United States should adopt eventual democratization of these countries of the goal, and eventual is the key element.
    * Want to know why Saddam decided to let the UN weapons inspectors into Iraq? Every day he kowtows to the United States and United Nations is one more day he remains free. Weapons violations will eventually be found-he knows it and we know it. Saddam’s choice was war now or war a few months from now.
    * The best thing in the world for the Republican Party right now is the resignation of Dick Gephardt (D-Mo.). Like it or not, he’s almost a moderate compared to his probable replacements. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is about as moderate as a Andy Griffith’s Otis was sober.
    * I like only two liberals: Alan Colmes and James Carville.
    Smith Lilley is a senior political science major.