Felker, Hallman up for vacated positions

Changes are being made in the Mississippi State football program this weekend as MSU head coach Jackie Sherrill will hold a press conference on Saturday to announce and discuss two new additions to the MSU program. One of the vacated positions is that of coordinator of football operations. David Wilson, who previously held that position, took a position at Georgia Tech, and the leading candidate for that position is former Mississippi State quarterback and head coach Rockey Felker. According to MSU Athletic Director Larry Templeton, Felker is being interviewed for the position.
    Felker, who was quarterback for the Bulldogs from 1972-1974, was named All-SEC by the Associated Press and United Press International his senior season at MSU. Felker was brought back to Starkville in 1976 to coach tight ends. After a brief stint as the quarterbacks coach in 1978, Felker came back to MSU in 1986 as head coach. Felker left after five lackluster seasons to make way for current head coach Jackie Sherrill.
    Melvin Smith, who has been the defensive backs coach at Mississippi State since the 1996 season has left to take a similar position at the University of Alabama.
    That position is expected to be filled by former Southern Mississippi, Louisiana State and XFL coach Curley Hallman. In three seasons at Southern Miss, Hallman compiled at 23-11 record and coached four-time NFL MVP Brett Favre. At LSU, Hallman was 16-28 in four seasons at the helm.
    Nothing is official as of yet, and will not be made official until the press conference scheduled for 10 a.m. on Saturday.