Electric bus tours MSU, Starkville

Passengers test the electric bus during Thursday’s preview on Main Street.

The state of Mississippi will soon gain access to its first electric-hybrid bus, which will be provided to Mississippi State University this weekend. The bus will assist those who wish to take part in Super Bulldog Weekend activities on and off campus. The bus will pick up passengers at various locations on Main Street from the Starkville Electric Department to the Colvard Student Union.
    “It will run from Starkville Electric Department to Main Street to campus and back,” city planner Larry Jones said.
    Jones also said the bus, which seats 22 passengers, began running Thursday and will continue through the university’s activities and end transportation late Saturday.
    “Thursday is for groups and will run from 9 a.m.-6 p.m.,” Jones said. “On Friday and Saturday it will run for everyone from 9 a.m.-10 p.m.”
    Jones said the bus is free and will run approximately every 30 minutes. The transportation available this weekend is temporary with the possibility of permanence.
    City leaders decided to help encourage the project during Tuesday night’s Board of Aldermen meeting when the board unanimously voted to allocate $250 from the mayor’s budget so Jones and volunteers can post temporary signs for the bus and its pick-up locations. The board also voted and approved a measure that will match university funds to help the study that will determine whether the bus stays.
    “It is a demonstration project,” Jones said. “It will determine if a permanent bus system is feasible.”
    Federal funding made this weekend transportation opportunity available.
    “We have a grant from the Federal Highway Administration,” Jones said. “The grant determined the feasibility for transportation of Starkville; this is part of the feasibility project.”
    Organizations have concerns about transportation this busy weekend, and they want to actively help.
    “The Small Town Center at MSU is assisting the city of Starkville,” Jones said. “The Tennessee Valley Authority is sponsoring.”
    Jones also said previewing the bus this weekend was decided about a couple of months ago, and he sends an invitation out to all of MSU’s guests this weekend.
    “We welcome everyone to come out and experience the smooth ride of an electric bus,” Jones said.