Allstars to play Dave’s

The North Mississippi Allstars will deliver the boogie Thursday at the State Theatre. Front man Luther Dickinson along with his drummer brother Cody and bassist Chris Chew make up the Memphis-born rock and blues trio, North Mississippi Allstars.
    The Allstars are known for the large crowds that they draw because of their style of music. The band’s extended workouts draw comparisons to the Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, Phish, Cream and the Allman Brothers Band.
    Starkville’s International Bistro and State Theatre will be the band’s second stop of Mississippi venues.
    Hood said that performers really seem to enjoy the retro feel of the State Theatre because there is no bad seat in the house when they perform on the 20-foot wide stage that sits five feet above the dance floor.
    The crushed red velvet curtain that rises above the performers’ heads is the perfect background for a show. The theater’s balcony alone sets this place apart from any other bar or restaurant in Starkville.
    “The acoustics are great because the building was designed as a theatre and it’s got great acoustical power,” Hood said.
    Hood and his staff have taken special precautions to make the Allstar experience both a very memorable and pleasurable one. Along with the theatre’s main central bar, satellite bars have been stationed at both sides of the stage, in the balcony and at the front door so that speedy service is assured.
    Carey Hudson, former Blue Mountain lead singer, will open for the Allstars.
    Doors open at 7 p.m. with Hudson performing from 9 until 9:45. The Allstars will do a two-hour set.
    Tickets are $14 and are still available, though limited tickets are being sold to prevent overcrowding. They can be purchased at both The International Bistro and State Theatre as well as Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern.
    Listen for your chance to win free tickets today, Wednesday and Thursday by tuning in to 91.1 WMSV.
    For more information contact 323-2591, 323-5056 or 324-3316 or log on to www.nmsallstars.com.