Twelfth annual International Fiesta returns

Students from around the world will converge on the Mississippi State Drill Field Saturday to celebrate their cultures together. Even in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks, organizers expect this year’s International Fiesta to be the biggest yet. Mississippi State University International Student Organizations and the World Neighbors Association are sponsoring the event.
    Activities at the Fiesta include a flag parade; music, such as Indian sitar on music; food from all 10 international organizations and arts and crafts from different nations. A fashion show will exhibit exotic costumes from different cultures and dancing exhibitions, some tribal, are very exciting, according to Karin Lee, Fiesta organizer and International Services Office representative.
    Lee, who is from Germany, said all of the activities are fun and serve to teach people about other cultures. Lee said American students do not often seek friendships with international students, and the Fiesta is a way to bring American students and international students together.
    “Our mission is to bring the international community and the local community together in some way, and the Fiesta is just one of those ways,” Lee said.
    There will be a stage set up for dancing routines and musical acts. The Japanese Student Association is doing a dance presentation in which they will make origami with giant paper. Local bands will also perform.
    The flag parade has been a tradition since the Fiesta began 12 years ago in Wal-Mart’s parking lot. This year, 105 flags will be included in the parade around the Drill Field.
    “It is very colorful; whatever flag we have, we’re going to walk it,” Lee said. “If a student from another country goes to school here, we (the ISO) purchase their flag.”
    Thai performers participating in the Fiesta have planned a musical act this year, Nigerians are going to march wearing exotic headdresses and Germans will perform the famous Schuhplattler dance.
    Some of the international students will have booths with cultural exhibits and handcrafts. There will be Indian hand painting, which Lee said is elaborate and looks like lace.
    The food at the Fiesta always draws many people. Lee said the international buffet is a rare chance to try some different food, which will be given out as samples and will also be sold.
    The Fiesta will also include a fashion show, a new idea that will be directed by professor of human sciences Phyllis Miller. The show will feature eight models from different nations: Cambodia, Bangladesh, India, Africa, Malaysia, Kenya, Japan and Korea.
    International students say Starkville is a friendly town to live in. Mayor Mack Rutledge is showing his hospitality to international students by speaking at the Fiesta.
    “The town rallied around our students after Sept. 11,” Lee said.
    There are over 800 international students enrolled at MSU, according to Lee.
    Jordanian graduate student Nisreen Ammari said she will have a booth at the show but doesn’t know what it will be yet. She said the Fiesta is a great celebration to be a part of.
    “You get to meet people from different parts of the world and learn about their culture,” Ammari said. “School is not just about book knowledge-it (the Fiesta) teaches you more about life.”
    Lee expects the turnout to be better than last year’s, which 1,000 people attended. This year the Fiesta has been incorporated into Super Bulldog Week.
    The Fiesta is Saturday, from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. on the Drill Field. The inclement weather venue is the Bost Extension Center.