Dancing in Dallas: four days at the NCAA Tournament

Thursday, March 14–Sixty-four teams. Sixty-three have one thing in common–no matter where they are from, no matter whom they are playing, no matter where they are playing–all 63 will end their season with a loss. Getting to this point has been a goal all season for Mississippi State University players. For the seniors, it has been a goal throughout their careers. This senior class came very close to the NCAA Tournament their freshman season. That season State won 20 games, but was snubbed by the NCAA selection committee, and sent to the National Invitational Tournament. This year, although they had secured an at-large bid by going 23-7, the Bulldogs were determined to leave no doubt in the minds of the selection committee. The Dawgs took the SEC title in Atlanta to surprise many of the experts.
    “Getting here has been a long time coming for this team,” senior guard/forward Marckell Patterson said.
    “Our team has shown a high skill level and knowledge of the game all season and through hard work and togetherness we have made it,” MSU head coach Rick Stansbury said.
    Now, one loss will end the season.
    Friday, March 15–This day will have four games in Dallas. Four winners, four losers. Careers will be lengthened until Sunday, or ended. Heavy favorite, Oklahoma enjoyed a home crowd advantage against Illinois-Chicago and Xavier came back from an early deficit to find the end of the Hawaii Rainbows season.
    MSU student Andy Kirwan was able to get tickets to tonight’s game through a friend of the family. Kirwan, a native of Dallas, is also a member of Rick’s Rowdies, the student organization that began this year to help support the Bulldogs.
    “As much time as I have spent following the Bulldogs this season, this is the most rewarding experience that I can have,” Kirwan said.
    Members of the MSU Pep Band eagerly await the 6:55 tip. Members Phillip Greer, Ross Wooden and Ben Garrett all said how thrilling it was to be at the NCAA tournament. The cheerleaders led the Bulldog section of 450 fans. MSU came out with the jitters that can be expected in the first game of the tournament, but pulled away from McNeese State.
    “I knew the team would calm down and win,” Kirwan said.
    Each Bulldog was able to play in this truly special moment of his basketball career. Following the game, some ‘Dawgs were relieved, some were elated, but all were ready to scout Sunday’s opponent. That opponent would be either Texas or Boston College
    Saturday, March 16–Last night’s victory was a school record–27th for this year’s ‘Dawgs. Today is a day of practice, rest and preparation. The ‘Dawgs will have to take on the Texas Longhorns in Dallas to advance to the Sweet 16 in Madison, Wis.
    Burnt orange encircled the playing floor last night, and tomorrow will be no exception. Texas head coach Rick Barnes said he did not think that the crowd would be an advantage. Many analysts disagree “The analysts are right. It will be a home game for Texas. They could just as well have held this game in Austin, but that is something that the Bulldogs cannot change,” Barnes said.
    The players were available after the team’s closed practice. Senior Guy Gardner said being at the dance is a dream come true.
    “As a kid, this was all I could think about,” Gardner said.
    Senior Michael Gholar said he enjoyed having the day to rest and prepare. He and Timmy Bowers agree that the team likes to watch the other tournament games to fill the free time. Michal Ignerski injured his shooting hand in last night’s win. Hopefully, the day off will help with the soreness. Patterson said how exciting it was to be a part of MSU history.
    “I like to beat Mike (Gholar) at dominoes when we have free time,” he said.
    Sunday, March 17–Four teams are left; two will win, two will lose.
    Last night on the sports shows, MSU was called an underdog. That is the way that the nation has seen this team all year. The Dawgs have played that role well and want to keep dancing.
    At last, the jump ball is thrown. Just like that, the score is 4-3 in favor of the ‘Horns. Then, STAMPEDE. ‘Why didn’t they call that foul?’ ‘Will they ever miss a shot?’ 28-7. This is NOT the way that the ‘Dawgs are supposed to end the season!’
    The Dallas natives next to me are calling the game over. The MSU section remained faithful, and the team started to make some plays. A 12 point halftime deficit is less than it could have been. MSU tries to make a second-half run, but the Longhorns counter. With only 13:23 left in the game, MSU still trails 55-40.
    Then it began, MSU made shots. Texas made turnovers. The deficit began to shrink. What was a 12 point deficit shrunk to seven. Every writer on press row turned to their neighbor and raised his or her brow. All of a sudden the Texas lead is three, then two. ‘Hang in there guys, you are so close.’ 64-62. ‘Great shot Ontario!’
    Foul. ‘Miss these, miss these.’ Swish. Swish. ‘Hurry guys, you’ve got to score twice. Way to go Mario.’ 66-64. Foul. ‘Miss these, miss these.’ Swish. Swish. 68-64 final.
    Stansbury enters the interview room with his 2-year-old son, Isaac, and his seniors Gardner, Gholar and Patterson.
    “I’m proud of my team, but to see these guys hurting, that makes it hard, but that’s what makes them champions–because they hurt,” Stansbury said.
    The locker room: numbness, disappointment and pride all at once. The thrill of a win, the agony of ending the season prematurely, both in one weekend. That is the romance of The Dance.