SA elects executive officers

The Mississippi State University Student Association announces its annual executive
    officer elections set for today in the Colvard Student Union from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Election Commissioner Hossien Razzaghi recently reworked the SA election code in an
    effort to reduce the amount of illegal campaigning and candidate misconduct.
    “The elections code was really revamped,” SA President Sebron Harrison said. “Student
    Affairs was concerned that it was a conflict of interests when the SA ran its own elections and handled the violations. Now, the Dean of Students Mike White is running the elections, so all complaints should go to him.”
    The students running for SA President are senior Eric McGee and junior Parker Wiseman.
    Eric McGee serves as a Roadrunner for the Office of Enrollment Services, and is a member of the Order of Omega, a Greek service organization. McGee also served as a member of the International Student Affairs Committee.
    If elected, McGee’s proposes to form a student committee for interviewing prospective
    professors, continue to work to unify the Starkville community and the MSU student body and establish an advisory board for the selection of the new MSU president.
    Wiseman is the current SA vice president and has served two terms as a senator.
    Wiseman also served as President Pro Tempore of the SA Senate for 2000-2001. He also held the position of chari of the Senate Rules and Legislation Committee for the 2000-2001 term.
    Wiseman has been awarded the Most Outstanding Senator award in 2000-2001. Finally, Wiseman served as Attorney General for the Interfraternity Council.
    Wiseman’s platform includes continuing the fight to improve the parking situation on
    campus and ease the traffic flow on and around campus. Wisemna is working toward a better Starkville for MSU students and advocates a more inclusive SA. Wiseman is an advocate of better residence hall conditions and making students’ concern more accessible to the administration. Wiseman also wants to work to eliminate state budget cuts to the Institutions for Higher Learning in Mississippi.
    Candidates running for vice president include Lynn Parker, Sara Peters, Jason McNeel and Scott Royce.
    “The presidential and vice presidential candidates all participated in the debate,” Harrison said. “It went really well. There was good student turnout, and the students asked lots of good questions.”
    Other candidates include Kim Mackey, Steve Smith and Dustin Williams for Senior Class President, Ernie Merlis and Truitt Taylor for Treasurer. Josh Blades and Ward Williams for Attorney Genera,l and Kelly Kirk and Daniel Melder will compete for Secretary.