Out of Bounds

He was supposed to be the senior leader on a young and inexperienced offensive line. He was the one that so many would count on to hold the pocket together when it began to collapse. He was the one that was supposed to pave the way for the running backs, flattening any opposing force in his path.
    He had the talent and ability to be one of the best linemen to ever play at Mississippi State. He even had potential to be taken in the 2006 NFL draft if he had a good final season with the Bulldogs.
    But the fate of Richard Burch’s football career became uncertain Monday night when he was arrested for selling marijuana.
    MSU head football coach Sylvester Croom has suspended Burch for “violation of team and university policies,” he said in a statement the university released Tuesday afternoon. Mississippi State football officials have not said how long the suspension will last and have refused further comment on the issue.
    Burch, State’s starting left tackle, and two roommates were arrested by the Starkville Police Department at their home in College Station Apartments shortly after 8:30 Monday night. The arrests were part of an ongoing investigation that began midway through the 2004 football season, sometime in the month of October, Sgt. Maurice Johnson of the Starkville Police Department said.
    “Yes, we were aware he was a football player,” Johnson said Thursday morning. “But him being a football player had nothing to do with the investigation or with the arrest at this time.”
    Roommates Treasure McCornell, 21, and Michael Moment, 25, were taken to the Oktibbeha County Jail along with Burch, who started all 11 games for State in 2004. All three men were released on $5,000 bond and will make an appearance at the Starkville Municipal Court on Feb. 14.
    “We do the investigation and make the arrests,”said Johnson, who also made it clear that no other Mississippi State athletes are involved in the investigation. “Once (Burch) gets into the court system they will look at the case as a whole and basically they will get with his attorney and he will have a choice to take a plea.”
    Moment and Burch are both accused of the selling of more than an ounce of marijuana, which calls for a maximum penalty of 30-yeas in prison along with a $1 million fine. McCornell was accused of selling less than an ounce of the drug, punishable by a $3,000 penalty and up to three years in jail.
    “I’m quite sure as time passes by some other things will be revealed from the investigation,” Johnson said. “But we can’t release that information at this time.”
    Burch was recruited out of Brandon High School by former head coach Jackie Sherrill in 2001. The 6’5 315-pounder was rated as the 15th offensive linemen in the nation, No.4 in the southeast out of high school, where he started as a two-way tackle. He was ranked No.3 on Superprep’s list of the top players in Mississippi following his senior year.
    In his freshman year at State, he played in seven games for the 3-9 Bulldogs. He suffered a fractured fibula and a dislocated ankle during practice prior to the Dawgs week eight game with Kentucky. The two year letterman started all 12 games in his sophomore year, including playing every snap for the Bulldogs during the 2003 Egg Bowl.
    “He had a chance to play at the next level,” an anonymous source said close to Burch.
    Burch and senior David Stewart were the anchors of a battered offensive line this past season. Stewart will be playing in the Senior Bowl this weekend and will probably get taken in the first day of the February NFL draft.
    If Burch is not allowed back on the football team, Sylvester Croom will have to replace his two best linemen from last year’s front five.