Balance habits to avoid Freshman 15

Freshmen, you have certainly heard this countless times already, but the Freshman 15 is no myth. Not everyone is afflicted by it; some are even pleased by it. However, many of you may experience some undesired weight gain if you are not careful to make wise eating choices.
    There are several ways that extra pounds can creep up on a person. Especially at the beginning of the year, when there is so much free food available from different activities. This food is generally greasy and fattening, so beware. Simply because one could eat free pizza four nights a week does not mean that it would be healthy. Take advantage of the free fare; just don’t overdo it.
    Another temptation for those of you who have meal plans will be Perry Cafeteria. Every night is a buffet dinner, and it is good. Again, be careful. Buffets are dangerous places for those seeking to avoid weight gain. Learn to set limits for yourself: stop when you are full; try to eat a variety of foods, including vegetables; and don’t eat a massive dessert after every meal.
    Watch your fast food intake as well. Fast food is undeniably great when you are looking for a quick, cheap meal. Consider wisely though, because most fast food is laden with fat and calories. The USDA recommends a daily intake of 2,000 calories and a daily fat intake of about 65 grams.
    Therefore, if you eat a Big Mac and large order of fries, which has over 1,000 calories and over 50 grams of fat, you have already consumed half of your daily calories and almost all of your daily fat grams.
    I am not saying to cut out fast food; instead, be informed so that you can make healthy choices. Get online and find the nutritional information for fast food places. One great place to check out is http://www.calorieking.com/foods. Also, be smart about eating out. Substitute grilled chicken or fish for battered. Avoid using lots of sauces or dressings because they usually add fat or empty calories. Stay away from fried foods, like french fries. Try substituting a baked potato with minimal butter and sour cream or a salad with light dressing.
    Snacking is another habit that poses potential danger to one’s waistline. Try to avoid eating between meals. If you really must have a snack, eat something small and light. Keep it around one hundred calories to avoid that over-stuffed feeling.
    One trick to weight maintenance is consistent eating habits. Stick to three meals a day and don’t skip any or snack in between. Skipping meals usually results in over eating later, and snacking fills you up without providing much nutritional value.
    Another area to be wary of is drinking. I’m not just talking about alcohol, either. Although alcohol does add extra calories (think beer belly), other drinks can also affect your weight. Soft drinks and juices are often loaded with sugar and calories. Whole milk has eight grams of fat per serving; one serving is about a cup. Again, making healthy choices in this area is key. Only drink one small soft drink a day. Switch to low-fat or skim milk.
    The best drinking decision one can make, though, is to choose water. Water has no fat or calories, and its health benefits are infinite. It is the best possible liquid you can drink, whether you’re trying to lose weight or not.
    Avoiding weight gain is not hard to do if one simply makes a few wise decisions. Moderate your fattening and high-calorie food intake. Try to eat food with nutritional value, including fruits and vegetables as often as you can get them. Don’t eat out every meal. Be sparing with desserts.
    Also, check out the Sanderson Center. Exercise is a great way to maintain your weight while still allowing some dietary splurges. Sanderson has basketball courts, a running/walking track, a great weight room and several fun classes. My personal favorite is the abs class. Find a workout routine that you enjoy and stick with it. Incorporate physical activity into your daily schedule, and develop it into a habit.
    Self-control is the crucial factor in weight control. You have to decide what you can and cannot live without. If you absolutely love chocolate, then don’t completely cut it out of your diet. Your metabolism can handle a splurge every once in a while; just keep it under control.
    These tips aren’t just for freshmen, by the way. All of us need to control our eating habits. Learning to eat right will be an asset for the rest of your life. Do yourself a favor and get this area under control now.