Cotton District: improving city, campus life

The Cotton District is kickstarting the growth of Starkville. Mayor Dan Camp’s vision may be realized before we know it.
    Known over the world for its plan of new urbanism, the district’s goal is to become a city within a city. It’s drawing businesses and creating entertainment for students and outsiders, and it shows no sign of losing momentum.
    Resting between the MSU campus and downtown, the district could link the two places, connecting the students with the city itself. It would serve as an efficient buffer zone.
    And it’s a practical place for entertainment, such as parties for students like the Bulldog Bash. Most who live in the district are students. This means that not only will students not have to deal with angry complaints while having fun, but that other residents will not be disturbed by noise or other distracting factors.
    Plus, since one doesn’t need to drive around in the district, drinking and driving will be kept to a minimum.
    Opportunities will abound, due to the new restaurants opening. These and other entertainment venues could draw people to Starkville. MSU could transform into something more than a suitcase campus. People will want to stay here if the district continues to improve itself and everything surrounding it.
    Hopefully, the district will inspire a trend throughout Starkville. A trend that could make the city more pedestrian-friendly. A trend that could allow the city to be more accessible. A trend that could mark the perpetual growth of a city that’s not even near its potential. A trend that could make Starkville a serious contender with other college towns.
    We are seeing a great thing. We are seeing the students and the city residents become closer, and it’s all the result of new urbanism.
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Jed Pressgrove, news editor Sara McAdory, assistant news editor Wade Patterson, sports editor Ross Dellenger, entertainment editor Tyler Stewart, managing editor Dustin Barnes and editor in chief Elizabeth Crisp.