‘Virgin’ climaxes early, but still scores

After stealing the show in both “Bewitched” and “Anchorman,” Steve Carell gets his chance for top billing this week in “The 40-Year-Old-Virgin.” In the film, Carell awkwardly bumbles his way through intimate encounters with the opposite sex in an effort to shed his virginity. “Virgin” follows the standard formula for college comedy, mixing a bit of sex, drugs, and gross-out humor. The addition of a good cast and surprisingly clever writing saves this film from falling in with the growing pile of maudlin comedies that confuse gross with funny. “Van Wilder,” anyone?
    Director and co-writer Judd Apatow elicits well-delivered performances from the cast as well as laugh-out-loud dialogue. Apatow is the creator of the short-lived TV series “Undeclared,” as well as a writer for another short-lived series, “Freaks and Geeks.” Apatow’s honest yet humorous writing goes well with Carell’s oddball style.
    Carell plays Andy Stitzer, a socially awkward stockboy working at an electronics boutique. When his co-workers discover that he has never slept with a woman, they begin an effort to introduce Andy to as many women as possible. The film’s parody of the dating scene is spot-on.
    Andy eventually falls for Trish (Catherine Keener), a mother of three who works at the store next door. His attempts to woo her will bring a smile to anyone who has ever been nervous about impressing a date. Andy’s exaggerated attempts to improve himself are wonderfully hilarious. At one point, Andy’s friends remove everything that is potentially embarrassing from his apartment, leaving it totally barren.
    The cast includes Carell’s “Anchorman” alum, Paul Rudd and a cameo from David Koechner (unfortunately Will Ferrell is nowhere to be seen). The film’s love interest for Carell, played by Keener, is terribly underused in the film. The plot focuses more on Carell’s attempts to lure an array of women into one-night-stands. Keener’s character remains undeveloped and the romance between her and Carell seems forced at best.
    “Virgin” is not for the easily embarrassed. This is definitely not the movie for a first date. Carell is subjected to nearly every sexual indignity imaginable and sets the tone for an irreverent film.
    However, the film takes a moralistic turn at the end that seems to go totally against the attitude of the film. It does not shy away from any joke or gag but manages to lose all of its teeth in the end.
    In a sad effort to regain some laughs, the film breaks into a mildly funny but totally unnecessary musical number. By this point though, the ride is over and the humor does not come quite as easily.
    It is well worth the price of admission just to see Carell able to take a part as far as he does in this film. The role of Andy Stitzer is the typical lovable loser, but Carell’s delivery breathes life into a character that could have become tiresome. His supporting cast truly brings out the best in him. Andy’s description of a fictional sexual encounter to his co-workers is gut-busting.
    Taken as a whole, “Virgin” is an enjoyable comedy that reaches a bit too far. Sadly, there just may not be a place for transvestite prostitute jokes and romance in the same movie.