Boar’s Head offers new kicks, same old tiki

The new bar on University Drive looks just like it used to from the outside. Now opened for a full month, The Boar’s Head, formerly The University Pub, has significantly changed its inside appearance.
    Centered behind the bar is a mosaic mirror expanding the central room. The cranberry-colored walls have painted replicas of Italian wine advertisements.
    Black frames around them are painted as well. Soft lighting is also a renovation from the building’s previous appearance.
    “People still call it The Pub,” said Boar’s Head manager Spencer Morrill. The Boar’s Head, which shares the same owners as the adjacent Little Dewey barbeque restaurant, has one advantage that the pub didn’t. “No one else has the Pickled Pig,” Morrill said, smiling.
    Customers can drink the exclusive mixed beverage out of a significantly large mason jar. “It’s our top seller,” he said.
    Michael Wardlaw, also a manager, said that the quality of all the mixed drinks at the bar is the best in town for the price. “We’ve also got the only outside bar venue in town,” he said.
    Beyond the back door of The Boar’s Head stands an outside tiki bar in the middle of lawn chairs, picnic tables and tiki lights for a beach-like atmosphere.
    “We’ve had people tell us that they don’t feel like they’re in Starkville when they come here,” Wardlaw said.
    “With the exception of two days, we’ve had the same six people come here every day since the Boar’s Head opened,” he added.
    “It’s got a Florida-feel,” Morrill said. “The inside bar is for those who are older and want a more calm experience than the college crowd,” he said.
    On Thursday nights The Boar’s Head will host live music. It will be the only night customers must pay a cover charge.
    “We’ll have a band for the outside and an acoustic musician for the insiders who want more of a martini and wine environment,” Morrill said.
    Last Thursday Jason Jones, a local musician and member of the band Young Agent Jones, played acoustic guitar for the inside. Local band Sanford played for the outside.
    “I think everyone really enjoys themselves, but I don’t think they know we have such good food,” Morrill said.
    The Boar’s Head menu doesn’t look at all like one would perceive for a place called “The Boar’s Head.” Entrees like blackened chicken alfredo and salmon are among the food selection.
    “It’s a small menu, but it’s simplified,” Wardlaw said. “Consistency was our main consideration,” he added.
    “We did that so we’d have a more specialized selection of quality ingredients,” Morrill said.
    They both said that their kitchen was fairly small, and it didn’t make sense to order an enormous amount of food.
    “Our food’s quality will surprise some people,” Wardlaw said.
    In the middle of each dining table sits a matted advertisement of the featured wine with a small print of a Leonardo Da Vinci sketch. The Italian Chianti, called Da Vinci, bears a description at the bottom that reads, “Clear with perfumes of cherry, accented by peppery notes.” Wardlaw said the bar and restaurant serves eight different wines.
    Wardlaw speaks on the sports talk show on 103.1 FM every Saturday from 8-10 a.m.
    “I’ll be broadcasting here at the Boar’s Head live when we have home games,” he said. “We will have special athletic guests here, too.”
    With The Boar’s Head original Pickled Pig, the economical experience and success of The Little Dewey, which shares the same owners and the high-quality food The Boar’s Head managers claim to have, there’s no reason why the new business should not be a hit.