Golf clinic aids Katrina’s victims

Students who want to drive the golf ball down the fairway like Tiger Woods, have the putting accuracy of Chris DiMarco, or help the victims of Hurricane Katrina have the opportunity to do all three this weekend at the Mississippi State University golf course.
    The Professional Golf Management Club is providing golf lessons today from noon to nightfall and Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon. All proceeds benefit the victims of Hurricane Katrina.
    The PGM Club decided to help out initially because of the damage Hurricane Katrina caused to the coastal members of the PGA of America. About 400 members were affected by the hurricane.
    After MSU created the Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund, the PGM Club decided its efforts could help even more people who were displaced by Katrina.
    The club is also hoping to receive more donations from alumni. PGM Club students have asked professional alumni to donate their earnings from the weekend to the fund.
    The PGM Club’s program coordinator Jeff Adkerson said there is no set fee for the lessons. “We’re not going to say each lesson is $25. We’re just going to ask that a donation is made when the lesson is over,” he said
    The lessons will benefit golf enthusiasts whether their handicaps are 74 or 94. “We’re welcoming all ability levels,” PGM freshman representative Jeff Rainwater said.
    Even if students who don’t own a set of clubs can receive some instruction and help support MSU’s hurricane relief. “We’ll have clubs, but we recommend to bring your own,” PGM Club president Casey Smith said.
    After honing their putting skills, golfers can compete in a putting competition today from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. It will cost $2 for two puts with all proceeds going to the Katrina Relief Fund. The winner of the contest will receive store credit from the MSU Clubhouse.
    There is no list to sign and no limit to the number of participants. Mostly students will be giving the lessons, but there will also be professionals available.
    Adkerson hopes to have “about seven to 10 students available at a time, so there should be no waiting involved.”
    The forecast for the weekend looks favorable. Even if a little rain threatens the program, Adkerson says to “just come on out.”
    The MSU Golf Course is located off Highway 182 East about two miles past the Highway 82 exit on the left.