State to use smash-mouth scheme against heavily-favored Tigers

“We are going to line up and knock them off the ball.”
    It sounds so crude, barbaric and yet – remotely simple. As the words rolled off of head coach Sylvester Croom’s tongue, one comes to the realization that this is what it’s going to take to get back an offensive rhythm.
    “We have gotten out of the rhythm of running the football,” Croom said. “We have tried to spread them out and create some better running lanes. If we run it 30 times and only gain one inch, then we only gain one inch. We are not going to try and finesse people.”
    When Mississippi State (2-2, 0-2) and No. 4 Louisiana State (1-1, 0-1) face off this Saturday at 1:30 p.m., it will be the 99th time these two teams have locked pads. Only Ole Miss is a more common staple to the MSU schedule.
    While the modern college game has advanced into a big aerial assault, Croom knows that if his team is going to win this weekend, it has to start with the running game.
    So much like State’s teams of the past, everything depends on the running attack. When you have a back like Jerious Norwood though, running the ball is not something you tend to worry about.
    “Man, I’m just on the boat for the ride. Whatever they need, I’ll do,” Norwood said. “We just need to pound the ball. Whether it’s 10 carries or 30, I’ll just do what the coaches tell me.”
    While running the football will be the priority of the day, Norwood hopes that is not the only plays being called that day.
    “I don’t want to take all the licks,” he said laughingly.
    If MSU hopes to pass the ball, they will need to find some kind of consistency–something they have been lacking. Going into the weekend, State is ranked 11th in the conference in pass offense, averaging 168 yards per contest.
    Having only beaten the Tigers once in 13 years would be enough motivation for any football team to come out fighting; however, the Bulldog’s hope to snap another losing skid this weekend. A victory over LSU would end State’s tumultuous time with SEC Western Division foes. State hasn’t beaten a divisional foe in 16 consecutive attempts.
    If MSU is going to defeat the Tigers in this decade, Saturday afternoon’s contest would figure to be the best opportunity.
    While LSU was picked by many to be a heavy favorite at contending for the National Championship and are seamlessly bound with astounding talent at every position, they did just play a Monday night overtime game against arguably one of the most physical teams in the SEC.
    “I felt like the team played extremely hard and with good emotion, but we made what appeared to be some first game mistakes and played sloppy,” LSU head coach Les Miles said. “Anybody in their right mind would have concern. I think we have made some adjustments to our own schedule though that will enable them to play and enjoy being in Mississippi on Saturday. Is there concern? Absolutely.”
    One concern for LSU will be State’s stingy rushing defense. In its past four outings, MSU has held its opponents to 96.8 yards per game on the ground.
    A remarkable feat considering that the previous year’s defense gave up 190.4 yards per game. Not to be outdone, the Tigers boast a proud rush stopping defense as well, allowing only 84.5 yards per game.
    Irregardless of the outcome or the defensive statistics, both teams will look to emphasize the same strategy all day long as they will undoubtedly try and pound the football.
    The only governing factor will be who’s defense bends and who’s defense breaks.
    “We’re going to stick people in there and hit them in the mouth,” Croom said. “If we can’t we’ll get beat, it’s just as simple as that.”
    LSU Connections
    Mississippi State running backs coach Freddie Kitchens and head strength and conditioning coach Jim Nowell both served on previous LSU staffs under then head coach Nick Saban.
    Kitchens launched his Division I-A coaching career as a graduate assistant in 2000, while Nowell served as an assistant strength coach in 2000 and 2001.
    Green Bay Similarities
    Mississippi State head coach Sylvester Croom and LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini were on Green Bay Packer coaching staffs in 2001 and 2002.
    Pelini was the Packers linebackers coach, while Croom served as running backs coach.
    “Bo is an excellent football coach and a good person,” Croom said. “He is not going to play tricks during the game. He pretty much knows my philosophy, and I know his. So really, it is going to come down to the players executing and playing good football.”
    Family Ties
    According to Croom, he learned some interesting news this summer about LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell.
    “I found out he was a distant relative and that made me sick,” Croom said smiling. “It’s a shame he didn’t come out of high school a year or two later. Maybe that connection could have gotten him here because he is a unique specimen.”