Candidates vie for court positions

Elections for Homecoming court and Mr. and Miss MSU take place today.
    Polls open at 7:30 a.m. and remain open until 6 p.m. Students can vote in The Union, at the Sanderson Center and at Mitchell Memorial Library.
    Student Association director of student activities Meagan Fly said each class will be represented by two Homecoming maids. A Homecoming queen will be elected from the senior class.
    “There are 18 ladies running for Homecoming court, five gentlemen running for Mr. MSU and six ladies running for Miss MSU,” Fly said.
    Candidates for Homecoming maids and Mr. and Miss MSU are sponsored by various groups across campus including sororities, fraternities, the Black Student Alliance, Catholic Student Association and College Republicans, Fly said.
    Mr. and Miss MSU should embody what it means to be an MSU student, SA chief of staff Elisha Blades said.
    “Mr. and Miss MSU need to be someone who’s involved not just this year but the last four years,” she said.
    The results of the election will be announced at 9 p.m. today outside the SA office, which is located next to the State Fountain Bakery.
    Members of the Homecoming court will participate in the Homecoming parade on Oct. 21 and will be presented on the field at the game on Oct. 22, SA President Jon David Cole said.
    “The theme of this years Homecoming is ‘A Bulldog State of Mind,'” Cole said.
    SA chief of staff Elisha Blades said the theme represents the unity of the student body. “To me it kind of means we’re all Mississippi State students, and we’re all one big happy family and we all have one state of mind,” she said.