Governor signs bill to allow onshore casinos

After weeks of deliberation and disagreement among members of the House and Senate, Gov. Haley Barbour signed the onshore casino bill into law Monday. The law allows casinos to build on land 800 feet from where gambling barges originally resided.
    The governor mentioned the casino bill at the beginning of the special session, making it his top priority; however, disagreements and the delayed passage of the bill to Barbour seemed to make the law’s future uncertain, holding millions of dollars in potential revenue at stake.
    Barbour also faced stern criticism by many within his own party over the issue, primarily because they see this as the first of many bills intended to cater to the state’s gambling industry.
    “The greatest concern was that I think we may have rushed into something, and there may be unintended consequences to the legislation we’ve passed,” Sen. Alan Nunnelee, R-Tupelo, said.
    For Harrison County, the new law states that casinos can be built to the southern boundary of U.S. Highway 90.
    Nunnelee said he believes this allows for a loose interpretation of the law; for example, a convenience store situated south of U.S. Highway 90 could legally install a slot machine.
    “The law speaks for itself,” Barbour spokesperson Pete Smith said. “The governor has always campaigned that he doesn’t support for expanding casinos beyond what they are now.”
    Smith said the governor’s urgency to get this bill passed quickly stemmed not from financial reasons, but for safety concerns.
    “Two or three barges are still on the other side of Highway 90; this was one of the main reasons for the casinos to move onshore: the public safety risk,” he said.
    The Beau Rivage, owned by MGM Mirage, Inc., outshines the other 12 Gulf Coast casinos in terms of the latest damage assessment. Company officials estimated repair costs in the hundreds of millions.
    Harrah’s Entertainment, Inc., which owns the Biloxi and Gulfport Grand Casino locations, projects at least two years of reconstruction; MGM Mirage anticipates 12 to 16 months.
    Despite the extensive damage to the Gulf Coast gaming industry, not one of the casino companies has decided to pull out.
    Las Vegas-style casino complexes are also now possible with the passage of the onshore law.
    Lawmakers speculate that more companies could invest in the Gulf Coast.
    According to Smith, that’s a positive step.
    “The governor wants the Coast to become a world-class resort,” Smith said. “At the end of the day, thousands of employees on the Coast will rest easily.”
    Nunnelee added that although he voted against the onshore casino bill, the legislature cannot lose touch with the coastal communities’ wishes.
    “These are decisions that will be made not in Jackson, but in Long Beach, Gulfport and the other surrounding areas that were affected,” Nunnelee said.