Wilson resonates Beale Street vibe through her blues

Ruby Wilson, dubbed the Queen of Beale Street, will take the stage at the Colvard Union Ballroom at 7:30 p.m. today as part of MSU’s Lyceum Series.
    This will be the Lyceum Series’ second entertainment event of the semester after bringing international star Jesse Cook’s world-music sound and flamenco influence.
    Like Cook, Wilson performs in a broad array of music genres, which will bring something to fans with many musical tastes.
    “She can sing blues, gospel, funk, R&B, pop, country and more,” Rollin Riggs of Resource Entertainment Group said. “She is an enormously versatile entertainer. She is known world-wide as the ‘Queen of Beale Street,’ which makes her an international blues artist, but her range is so much broader than just blues.”
    Some of her selections may include “Mustang Sally” or “At Last.”
    Not only is Wilson known for her vocal talent, she is said to have a way of connecting with audiences in different demographic areas all over the world.
    “There are a lot of great singers in Memphis, but there are very few people that can connect with an audience the way Ruby does,” Riggs said.
    Riggs said Wilson’s connection with the crowds is prevalent all over the world.
    “I have seen her on Beale Street, at casinos in Vicksburg and at a jazz club in Switzerland,” Riggs said. “It is like this universal language that she has, and she can talk to anyone whether they speak English or not. She has people all over the world eating out of the palm of her hand in two minutes,” Riggs said.
    Wilson has showcased her live performing abilities with the likes of B.B. King, Ray Charles, Robert Goulet, The Four Tops and Issac Hayes.
    She has even performed for U.S. presidents at the White House.
    Sarah Tipton, graduate assistant for the Lyceum Series, said that students would definitely enjoy one of Wilson’s high-energy performances, which consists of heavy audience involvement.
    “She is a phenomenal performer,” Tipton said. “Anybody would enjoy hearing her. She is known for turning concerts into huge events, a dancing-in-the-aisle sort of thing. Because she is so charismatic, you can’t help but fall in love with her.”
    “Ruby Wilson sounds like she would be a lot of fun to watch,” MSU junior Anita Menon said. “I can’t wait to see her put on a show. I’m glad that students have this type of opportunity to see such great live entertainment without even having to leave campus,” she added.
    For more information on Ruby Wilson or to sample songs such as “Dock of the Bay” and “Let the Good Times Roll,” visit www.reggmemphis.com.
    For more information about this event or the Lyceum Series, go to www.msstate.edu/dept/lyceum.
    General Admission for the event is $12 for adults, $8 for senior citizens and $6 for children ages 3 through 12. MSU students are admitted free with proper MSU identification.