Courtesy should be more common

When I was a child, I remember being told by adults that certain behaviors were expected of me. I was told to always say “please” and “thank you,” to let others serve themselves before me and to hold doors for other people. By requiring me to perform these actions, my parents were hoping to instill in me a sense of common courtesy.
    Now that I am an adult, or as close to one as I have ever been, I realize the importance of courtesy to others. Thinking of others and showing kindness to them is not difficult by any means. However, it seems that it is not so common anymore. In fact, it is beginning to be unexpected in some aspects.
    The sidewalk is one area where a lack of courtesy is evident. If you are approaching a person walking along the sidewalk, do not ignore his presence. Notice the person and respond to his existence. All it takes is a little eye contact and a smile. Nothing more is required. That little bit of energy you expended will make that other person feel noticed rather than ignored or devalued.
    Also, please limit the use of your electronic devices to appropriate places. If you are in class, please put your cell phone on silent. I understand that sometimes people forget; it has happened to me more than once. But absolutely do not answer your phone during a class. That is the rudest thing I can think of. It shows disrespect for your teacher, for the subject and for your classmates. If a phone call is really that important, put your phone on vibrate and leave the room to answer it. Be courteous to the people around you.
    Also, if you are in the bathroom, do not talk on your cell phone. First, it makes the other people in the restroom extremely uncomfortable. Second, it is rude not only to the others in the room but also to the person you are talking to. If I were on the phone with someone, I would not want that kind of background noise filtering into my conversation. That is just gross.
    The iPod is another electronic device that contributes to a lack of courteousness. People pop those headphones in their ears while walking to class and promptly disconnect themselves from the world around them. Is it really too much to ask that you refrain from listening to music for the few minutes it takes to walk to class and instead interact with people? Then perhaps your friends will not be ignored as you be-bop along to your music and walk right past them without seeing them.
    Driving is another area where I am sure we would like to see more courtesy. I must admit that I am subject to road rage when duly provoked. Nothing upsets me more than a driver who thinks that he or she is obviously the most important person on the road. Cutting people off or stopping in the middle of the road simply because it suits your purpose are not acceptable behaviors. Consider the other people on the road. They all have places they have to be and time schedules to follow. It is likely that yours is not the most urgent.
    Basically, we should treat other people as we ourselves would like to be treated. Recognize the needs or even preferences of others around you and try to fulfill those. Put away the selfish attitude. If each of us could exercise a little courtesy, then maybe it can become common again.