Pink is not all that matters

Sure, maroon is all that matters, but what about pink?
    Browsing through the MSU Bookstore, you will find a wide selection of T-shirts, jackets, coffee mugs and car dcor sporting our famous school colors, maroon and white.
    These colors have represented Mississippi State since 1895. Some will argue that too many shades of maroon are offered, and some students are working to correct that. However, there’s one shade I cannot accept: pink.
    Not just any pink, though- the shade of pink that looks like someone accidentally dropped a maroon sweatshirt into the load of white MSU laundry. I would actually feel better if that had happened than to know that this tragedy happened on purpose.
    Since when is pink a school color of Mississippi State? Surely no one would fall prey to this ridiculous fad.
    Oh, but they have. I noticed someone in one of my classes yesterday wearing a lime green shirt with pink Mississippi State letters. Lime green? At least pink is a mixture of maroon and white. I have no idea where lime green came from.
    Sadly, this fad has spread to other campuses, including Ole Miss. Students can now find school clothing in light purple and baby blue. The only thing that distinguishes one school from another is the names printed across the front. And pretty soon, someone should be able to buy a school shirt in any color they want.
    The whole point of having school colors is to promote unity among the students and set students apart from those of other schools. To see the student section painted in maroon and white communicates to the public that school spirit unifies our students. By wearing the same colors for our school, we declare that we all have one thing that connects every student, regardless of race or gender, etc., and that one thing is our beloved university. So who came up with the idea that unity is gender-specific? Granted, maroon does not complement skin types of every season, and white may make some look washed out, but if those are the main concerns, then students are missing the point.
    According to the MSU traditions Web page, our school colors date back to the first football game ever played by MSU students. Since then, various shades of gray have been included in our color scheme, and in the 1980s gray was worn by men’s and women’s basketball teams.
    Only one other time did someone attempt to change our colors. Football coach Spike Nelson had his players sport cardinal and gold uniforms in 1938. He was gone the next football season, and so were the uniforms.
    I realize that a few campus or Greek organizations wear certain colors to distinguish their group from another. That’s one thing. But instead of displaying MSU’s name on the front, they should display the name of their organization.
    Maroon is not particularly my favorite color. It sometimes clashes with my red hair. Wearing white makes me look like a ghost, but I’m proud to be a student here. I’ve made friendships here that will last a lifetime. My parents met while attending this school. My grandfather helped build many buildings on campus. I think I can put aside a few technicalities to support a great university and student body.
    Maroon and white are our official colors. Claiming that pink is the new maroon is simply outrageous. For some reason, “Legally Blonde” comes to mind. Next, I anticipate these pastel supporters to begin carrying Chihuahuas in their purses. Unless your name is Elle Woods, and you attend a university where pink is the official school color, be a sport and stick to maroon.
    Courtney Thompson is a junior communication major. She can be reached at [email protected].