State blanks Rebels

The Mississippi State Bulldogs evened up their series with the Ole Miss Rebels at one apiece with a pair of two out rallies to topple UM 4-0.
    The win marks MSU’s fourth in a row and puts the Bulldogs in sixth place overall in the SEC with an overall record of 30-22 and an SEC record of 10-13.
    The Bulldogs scored their first run in the top of the fourth as Tanelda McDonald drove in a run and then was chased home second baseman Callye Williams. It was the first of three RBIs of the night for Williams, who also doubled in a 2 for 3 performance.
    Dawgs repeated the two runs with a two out feat again in the sixth with Williams driving in two more runs.
    “I did my job. I was able to drive in some runs when we needed it and it felt good to do that,” Williams said.
    The hitting performances of Williams and McDonald were matched with great pitching performances from Kelli Miller and Stephanie Comeaux.
    Miller pitched a dominating six innings allowing only three hits and walking only one. However, Miller ran into trouble in the seventh giving up two of the three hits and leaving the game with the bases loaded.
    Coach Jay Miller brought in Comeaux who struck out two of the next three batters and ended the game without allowing a run. Coach Miller was very pleased with his pitchers.
    “Both Kelli and Stephanie had a great performance,” Miller said. “Stephanie came in and struck out two of the three batters she faced and just shut them down.”
    Miller was also pleased with the timely hitting of the Bulldogs who had previously struggled with runners in scoring position.
    “I thought we had some key hits, we didn’t hit the ball well but when we had people in scoring position we got the big hits to drive them in and that was the difference,” Miller said.
    The Bulldogs finish the series with Ole Miss next Tuesday in the annual M&F Bank Fastpitch Classic in Madison at 6:30 p.m.
    Mississippi State will travel to Gainesville this weekend to face the Florida Gators in an SEC showdown. The Gators are currently ranked 15th in the nation.
    “We’re playing really good ball now, our sticks are coming along better and I think we are on the right track heading into Florida,” Williams said.