Old Main Music Festival

The forecast for Starkville Saturday is partly cloudy with a high of 67 and music on Main Street when the Old Main Music Festival kicks off at 6 p.m.
    This year’s lineup includes Robert Randolph and the Family Band, Sugarland and Brian Fuente.
    Student Association President Jon David Cole said the choice of musicians was based onwho was available and finance, but the goal was also to appeal to a diverse group of people.
    “I do think that this artist lineup is going to provide for the best Old Main we’ve seen yet,” he said.
    Cliff Jones, SA co-director of external events, said organizers also looked for artists that would appeal to both students and other members of the community.
    Tickets cost $10 in advance and $15 at the gate. The main entrance will be located on Main Street at Lafayette Street near AmSouth Bank, Jones said.
    The gates open at 6 p.m. Starkville musician Brian Fuente will perform at 7 p.m., followed by the country trio Sugarland at 8 p.m. Grammy-nominated Robert Randolph and the Family Band will begin its act at 9:30 p.m, he said.
    These three bands will not provide the only entertainment of the evening. “In between stage changes we’re gonna have bands play on Mugshots’ balcony,” SA co-director of external affairs Kristin Clemens said.
    The stage will be located beside Mugshots facing down Main Street toward the university, Jones said. He said the best place for attendees to park is in the First Presbyterian Church parking lot or anywhere behind it on Lampkin Street. Another option is to take the Night Route, which will run during the festival Saturday night.
    Cole said the SA estimates 5,000 people will attend the event. “We’ve had good resale tickets and we expect this combination to draw a good number of people.”
    “It’s so important that students come out for this. Our ability to do these kinds of programs depends on students’ desire to participate,” he added.