Read up on candidates

Starkville is preparing to hold city elections. The primary election is slated for May 5, and the general election well be held June 7. Many student leaders have debated ad nauseam the role of students in this election. One school of thought says students are guests in Starkville. In this thinking, students should vote for the interests of the city and not seek to change the city for the permanent residents. Another school says students should be proactive and aggressive in improving Starkville, which they don’t see as inherently bad or in conflict with the interests of the permanent residents.
    Whatever school you come from, here are my analyses of the mayoral candidates:
    Dan Camp is the proprietor of the internationally renowned Cotton District where he transformed an old mill community into a neighborhood reminiscent of Old Charleston. In his campaign, he has overwhelmingly picked up most of the student support, partly because of his business entities which cater to their needs. He is seen as the candidate who will usher in an unprecedented era of growth in the downtown area, which will spur growth throughout the city. Some people don’t like him because of his brash and outspoken persona which many deem as undiplomatic for public office. Many of his detractors charge that he is running to protect the interests of the Cotton District and the property-owning class.
    Frank Davis is an accomplished entomologist and professor emeritus who serves as vice mayor. He describes his time on the Board of Aldermen as “student friendly.” During his time, the board has loosened restrictions on restaurants and bars, in addition to have supported events like Bulldog Bash and the Old Main Music festival. He has dedicated much time to improving the city and community. He wants to implement a comprehensive plan for the city and create new entities such as a transportation system. Although the current mayor endorsed one of his opponents, many still see him as the status quo candidate. This perception hurts him among students and city residents who would like to see Starkville move to new heights, but it helps him among the residents who don’t want the city to move rapidly in a new direction.
    Dorothy Isaac serves as an officer in the Oktibbeha County NAACP and has been a longtime community activist. She has taken up the mantle for young people, not just MSU students but for the high school students without activities who can be found on the streets on a weekend night. Her passion for service is unmatched when one looks at how she spends her time. She is the most personable candidate in the race and always bears a smile. Although she has presented a general vision for Starkville, she has not given any solid details.
    Rob Roberson is a former alderman and state representative for Starkville. Years ago Roberson shocked people who said a young Republican couldn’t be elected to be the Ward 4 alderman. Not only that, he shocked even more when he was elected to the Mississippi House of Representatives while serving as an alderman. His campaign for mayor, after a seemingly lackluster start, got a morale boost from an endorsement by Mayor Mack Rutledge. Some say it will help, others believe it’s a zero-sum endorsement. Some still believe he is too young to be mayor despite his experience. Also, the perception that he is still the cold-beer alderman candidate has hampered his support among traditionalist Starkvillians.
    Vic Zitta is a former engineering professor who currently serves as alderman-at-large for Starkville. Zitta has become a conservative hero in his persistence to fight for voters to choose the site for the new police station. Also, a fact that many don’t consider is that he is the only person in this race who has won a city-wide election by virtue of being an at-large alderman. He has made the most of the unexciting campaign season where he has been known to visit his opponents’ kick-off parties. Many have complained that he is only focused on the justice complex issue.
    Whoever you support, just make sure you go to the polls.
    Edward Sanders is a junior political science major. He can be reached at [email protected].