Bulldogs look to white out the Tide in season finale

Revenge will be on the minds of the Mississippi State Bulldogs as they take on SEC West rival University of Alabama (22-6, 11-4).
    In the team’s earlier meeting the Crimson Tide handed MSU at 49-point whooping, 98-49. It was the second worst loss in State’s basketball history. This time around, the Bulldogs (21-8, 9-6) hope to reverse the outcome and collect their fourth straight win.
    Why it is important
    For MSU: A win over 21st ranked Alabama would give State its first win over a ranked opponent, an important addition to the Bulldogs’ NCAA tournament re’sume’.
    For Alabama: Alabama is looking to collect an important road victory to help their seeding in the NCAA tournament. A win would also guarantee the Tide at least a portion of the SEC West title.
    Keys of the game
    For MSU: MSU needs to improve its perimeter defense to control the high scoring offense of the Crimson Tide. In the earlier meeting Alabama shot nearly 50 percent from the three-point line. On the offensive end the Bulldogs need good ball movement and players moving without the ball to create more scoring opportunities.
    For Alabama: Bama needs to distribute the ball well to keep the MSU defense off balance. On the defensive end the Tide will need to contain Lawrence Roberts and force the Bulldogs to take outside shots.
    Key Matchups
    Lawrence Roberts v. Chuck Davis: Roberts will have his hands full with Davis battling against him in the post. Davis, who shoots nearly 60 percent from the floor, is averaging 14.6 points a game.
    Roberts will need to limit the touches Davis is able to get. Offensively Roberts will need to pass the ball out of double teams and take high percentage shots.
    ‘Shane Power v. Earnest Shelton: Going into Saturday’s game, Power will have two assignments. The first will be to get a hand in Shelton’s face on every shot. The second will be to produce offensively. In the first game between Alabama and Mississippi State, Shelton had a career high 34 points.
    Off the bench
    For MSU: One difference in this game and the Jan. 18 match-up is the presence of Winsome Frazier. Frazier, who missed the first game with a broken foot, is averaging 10.2 points and 27.4 minutes off the bench since his return.
    Also coming off the bench will be Jamall Edmondson who, when playing point, gives State another offensive dynamic by slowing the pace down. Wesley Morgan, who stood out in Tuesday’s Arkansas game, could give Roberts some valuable rest if he can produce like he did on Tuesday.
    For Alabama: Evan Brock gets most of Bama’s bench minutes. The 6-8 forward gives Alabama depth on an already dominating backline which includes Davis and Jermareo Davidson.
    Jean Felix will also come off the bench for the Tide. He is a 6-7 forward who is able to shoot the ball from the outside. On the season, Felix is shooting 45.6 percent from behind the arc.
    Series History
    Alabama leads the overall series 107-65 and won the first meeting this season in Tuscaloosa. Mississippi State leads the series in Starkville 50-33. The last State win came last season in Tuscaloosa when the Bulldogs defeated the Tide 82-81 in overtime.
    Game Notes
    Saturday is senior day for five Bulldogs. Marcus Campbell, Seth Cannon, Winsome Frazier, Ontario Harper, Shane Power and Lawrence Roberts will be honored during pre-game for their contributions to the MSU basketball program.
    Campbell and Frazier are tied for all time winningest player in Bulldog basketball history with 95 wins.
    A “White out the Tide” promotion has been scheduled for Saturday’s game. All MSU fans are encouraged to wear white to the game.
    Television
    The game will be televised nationally by CBS, and is set to tip off at 1 p.m.