Attorney General Candidates

Brian Pugh
    Sophomore
    Gulfport
    Political Science, Pre-law
    Brian Pugh, a candidate for SA attorney general, says his work with minorities sets him apart from other attorney general candidates.
    Although Pugh has no prior experience as part of the Student Association, he says his work at the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center and his work with minorities, Greeks and non-Greeks, has prepared him for the position.
    “I’m not a Greek and I want to show students you don’t have to be Greek to be involved in or with school organizations,” Pugh said. “My goal is to get students involved in SA projects and activities and to get their opinions on things.”
    Pugh, a sophomore political science and pre-law major, says he will make sure the SA Constitution is upheld “with exceptions to nobody.”
    “Everybody gets the same treatment, whether Greeks, athletes or anybody else,” Pugh said.
    Pugh says he wants a higher leadership role in the SA, rather than serving on a committee, because he can get more accomplished. “I want to go into law and the biggest thing is that the attorney general’s job is to make sure everything’s going according to the Constitution,” Pugh said.
    Pugh joined the Stennis Institute of Government in January.
    Seth Robbins
    Junior
    Gautier
    Political Science
    Junior Seth Robbins, candidate for Student Association attorney general says his experience with the SA makes him the most qualified candidate for the position.
    “My experience is in the SA, dealing with the same people I’m going to be dealing with as attorney general,” Robbins said. “My experience is key, and I’ll bring excitement to the position.”
    Robbins, a junior majoring in political science, served in the SA this year as the director of special projects.
    Additionally, he worked on the SA governmental affairs committee as a sophomore and as a student representative on the SA campus planning committee, which has been involved in the planning of Ruby Hall, the addition to McCool Hall and upcoming renovations to The Union.
    “I want to continue the progress that’s been made the past few years and I want to serve the students by bringing to the table some things that haven’t been brought up,” Robbins said.
    Robbins says that while the attorney general position is seen as one that governs the Constitution, the position also calls for more direct involvement with the SA.
    Hunter Travis
    Sophomore
    Flowood
    Mechanical Engineering
    Hunter Travis, a sophomore from Flowood, says he wants to be Student Association attorney general to become more involved with the student body.
    “I was frustrated with not knowing what’s going on and when it’s going on,” Travis said.
    Travis wants to make students more aware of the jobs of attorney general and the SA Constitution, he said. “Attorney general is the quickest way to learn the most about Student Association, students and the (SA) Constitution,” Travis said. “It’s a position used to know the rules and tell other people to follow the rules.”
    Although Travis has no prior experience working with the SA, he says his work with his fraternity, Phi Kappa Alpha, has taught him the leadership skills he needs for the job.
    He has worked as Rush chairman, alumni chairman and held both internal and external vice president positions for his fraternity.
    “The leadership experience I’ve had is more officer-oriented, and I’d feel more comfortable as a leader than a committee member,” Travis said.