Cole sets out to streamline SA

The decision to run for SA president was one Jon David Cole did not take lightly. The senior history major said he took time to seek guidance in his choice to run for the highest office in the student organization.
    “This was not something I knew I was going to do when I came into the Student Association or to Mississippi State,” Cole said. “I’m running for this position because I am so grateful for the opportunities I’ve had, and it’s really time for me to step up and take the bull by the horns and really give back to this university.”
    Cole, who served as the SA attorney general this term, said the main factor behind his decision to run is the university, particularly the SA. “Being attorney general I’ve gotten to deal on a daily and weekly basis what it’s like to deal with administrators on campus from a very constructive standpoint to a confrontational standpoint,” Cole said.
    In addition to his duties as attorney general, Cole is also a member of Phi Delta Theta and an MSU Roadrunner.
    Cole said he is familiar with the huge programs the SA has put on, such as Bulldog Bash, and he also said he has experience raising money.
    “I have the skills more than anybody else to hop in and make it happen,” he said. “It’s this knowledge in these different aspects of what the SA does that really sets me apart.”
    If elected, Cole said he wants to focus on academic reform. One of his key highlights is to make MSU teacher evaluations available to students, an initiative created under Adam Telle’s administration. Another issue includes overhauling the academic advising system, which Cole said is an issue important to students and faculty.
    Cole additionally said he was concerned with MSU traditions.
    “We have got to start fostering traditions and rekindling old traditions that have died out. And that’s how you will help conquer the enrollment problem in Mississippi State,” he said.
    Cole explained a problem that MSU will face in the future will be enrollment, and by creating more pride in athletics, more traditions unique to the university and a campus that looks like the students feel it should look, the SA can help to combat lower enrollment figures.
    The SA Cabinet is also on Cole’s list of priorities. Cole said he wanted to create a more efficient and unified body. “Our Cabinet has to be streamlined,” he said. “The Cabinet is too big right now. And so much of the effectiveness of the cabinet is dependent on the personalities involved. We need a streamlined Cabinet, one that is extremely dedicated.”
    As for the shorter amount of time candidates were given to campaign this year, Cole said that the current statute that was passed stipulates that campaigning would not begin until the candidates meeting that was held about a month ago. “The reason why campaigning hasn’t opened up until this week I feel is a result of last year’s bitter election,” Cole said.
    Cole noted that this year’s candidates for SA offices were down to from last year’s 17 to 12, and that perhaps the new code was too constrained. However, he added that he thought the more opportunity people are given to plot and campaign openly the more accountable they will be held to the student body. Yet, the idea behind the legislation that limited campaign time is one that should be addressed, Cole argued, since students apparently do not like being harassed on the Drill Field by candidates prior to the election.
    As for recent controversy over the use of thefacebook.com as a campaign tool, Cole said, “My campaign has done the utmost to run a clean, fair, by-the-letter election. And that is what we will continue to do. Our campaign is making sure, and checking and double checking to make sure, we are within the limits.”