MSU play gives insight to modern problems

In an age of doubt concerning televangelists, one would think Moliere had written his 17th century play Tartuffe just to be performed in the 20th century.

The Mississippi State University department of communication will make you wonder whether it is Tartuffe or Jimmy Bakker fresh from prison when it performs a modern day version of Tartuffe at 7:30 p.m. on April 20 and 21 in Lee Hall Auditorium.

Tartuffe, a comedy of love and hypocrisy, combines the antics of a family torn between respect for its figurehead and their disgust for a hypocrite who has woven himself into a spell of deception.

The family’s leader, Orgon (played by Muse Davis) leads the way for comic action as he continually alienates his wife Elmire (played by Myna Dickerson), his lovesick daughter Marlane (played by Ashley Har) and his son Damis (played by Jamie Stephenson).

Attempting to assure himself a place in Heaven, Orgon foolishly follows the advisements given to him by the seemingly pious Tartuffe (played by Dan Sadler).

Set in modern Paris, the script remains relatively unchanged. Jeffrey Elwell, associate professor of communication and the play’s director, said “Instead of a 17th century king, there will be a 20th century leader.” He explained the remainder of the script will hold true to the original.

Admission will be $2 for students, $3 for senior citizens and $5 for adults. Tickets will be available through the department of communication and at the door.