MSU introduces Provost and Executive Vice President

Office of Public Affairs | Courtesy Photo

Judith Bonner, Mississippi State University’s new provost and executive vice president, was former president and senior administrator at the University of Alabama.  She began her new role with MSU on July 1. 

The Provost and Executive Vice President is a position responsible for guiding the development  of academic priorities to continue the success of the university. 
  Judith Bonner has jumped into her new role as Provost and Executive Vice President for Mississippi State University. Bonner said in her first six weeks she has been inspired by many things at MSU.
   “For example, the work that is being done to ensure student success is extraordinary,” Bonner said. 
   Faculty and staff are a big part of student success. Bonner said MSU faculty and staff have a defining practice with initiatives like progress reporting of grades multiple times and programs such as Navigator and Pathfinder. 
   “I plan to spend my first 180 days getting to know what is being done at Mississippi State,” Bonner said. “What is working. What do our deans, department chairs, faculty and students identify as opportunities for improvement.” 
  Bonner said she has several ideas and wants the future pathway to emerge collaboratively with the MSU community.
 Regina Hyatt, Vice President for Student Affairs, said that Dr. Bonner is a great asset to MSU.
 “Dr. Bonner is an experienced leader and understands institutions like MSU,” Hyatt said.  “She brings a wealth of knowledge and insight to campus.”
   Hyatt said she will work closely with Dr. Bonner to find connections and work together on ways to improve the student experience as well as graduation rates for MSU.
  “Dr. Bonner is a great advocate for students and is a great addition to the Mississippi State family.Student success is her number one priority,” Hyatt said.
   Bonner already made her presence known by meeting students through orientation this summer and New Maroon Camps. She also participated in welcoming students on move in day. Hyatt said Bonner was the host for the Freshmen Convocation on August 16.
    Student opinion was also brought to the forefront. Alivia Roberts, a junior communication major said she thought Dr. Bonner would bring new ideas and it is always good to have different opinions from a different aspect. 
   “Having a woman in a high position just shows other female students that they can break glass ceilings,” Roberts said.  “Women empowerment is important in order to continue to process the future.”
   The connection between Provost and student is a hopeful one. 
 “MSU students want to feel connected to her. With the community-like atmosphere, building that relationship and being accessible is important to us,” Roberts said.
 Bonner is looking forward to her position as Provost and Executive Vice President. 
   “My favorite part will be working with the team to make a difference for our students,” Bonner said.  “We are here to insure that the education our students receive is truly world class.” 
Bonner previously served at the University of Alabama as a senior administrator and president. She started working at UA in 1981 and was the first woman president at UA.
  MSU President Mark Keenum announced Bonner as provost on May 19.  She will  serve alongside the president, deans, vice presidents, and a number of other faculty members.