New protective football policies initiated

Olivia Zeringue | The Reflector

The Junction is being prepared for the first Mississippi State University football game this Saturday. Measures are being taken to provide safety.

A new football season is on the horizon at Mississippi State University, and so are new changes regarding safety of those attending.
   One of the biggest changes, the clear bag policy, goes into effect starting Saturday.
  The new policy is an effort to make spectators safer and prohibits any bag more than 12 inches long, 12 inches high and 6 inches wide from being brought into the stadium. All purses except clutches measuring 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches are also prohibited.
    MSU now joins a growing list of other South Eastern Conference teams who have already instated the clear bag policy.
    MSU Police Captain Kenny Rogers, who is responsible for special events, says the new clear bag policy is being issued in the interest of public safety.
   “This is something new we are trying, so we ask people to be patient,” Rogers said.
    He advises those planning on attending and bringing bags to arrive early to ensure they are able get to their seats before kickoff. Checking bags will cause some added traffic at gates.
   Attendees who do not bring bags will be allowed to enter lines expediting their entry. These entrances will be located at the corners gates A, F, H, L, while gates B and I will have enhanced security.
 The traffic plans for campus this football season will pretty much remain the same as last year. Stone Boulevard and Creelman Street will close at 8 a.m. Saturday morning for each home football game.
   Rogers said an early start time for this weekend’s game means temperatures will be hovering around their peak for the game. As a result, he said staying  hydrated is important to remember before and during the game.
 “Please drink plenty of fluids,” Rogers said. “It’s going to be hot, probably really hot. Make sure you’re hydrated.”
 Additionally, Rogers recommends periodically going under the stands to avoid getting too much sun exposure while also lessening your chances of potential heat related illnesses.
  Captain Rogers said he has noticed differences in how long people stay on campus for early and late game start times.
 “What we have noticed about early games is people tend to hang around,” Rogers said.
  He said reasons why people often tend to hang around after games include fellowship and tailgating. Games give people the chance to spend some time with family or friends they have not seen very much of recently.
 Chief Deputy Chadd Garnett of the Oktibbeha County Sheriff’s Office says his department is assisting the MSU police department by providing transportion at the stadium during the game.
“What this does is, if something goes wrong and they have to arrest someone, their staff does not have to leave,” Garnett said.
  Garnett said to those attending the game to not leave valuables and car keys lying on seats; to put them out of sight in a place where they cannot be seen such as your trunk.  If you have a firearm, he recommends leaving it at home. The state’s open carry law allows you to leave your gun in the car, but that does not mean you should. He advises to be aware of your surroundings most of all.
    Game days also mean a huge increase in the number of people in Starkville. Drivers need to be careful while driving and looking out for pedestrians. 
“[There’s] so much foot traffic going to the games,” Garnett said. “If you’re not paying attention, they’re probably not paying attention. They’re going to step out and cross the road in front of you.”
    One new difference for his department this year will be the closing of Highway 182 near the Highlands following the game. Garnett said past traffic problems are what initiated the change.
Recently Garnett attended a luncheon held between various law enforcement agencies in the state and MSU President Mark Keenum. At the luncheon, they discussed problems and possibilities. 
   One question Garnett said he remembers discussing, is “What do you do if there is a bag found?”
      With the new clear bag policy in place, it is now less likely to occur.
   The memories of last fall’s MSU campus incident of the possible shooter was brought up at the luncheon. Although there was no actual shooter, Garnett says it alerted law enforcement officials of the need for more planning to prevent the future possibility of similar incidents from happening. 
   Also at the luncheon, President Keenum introduced Garnett and other law enforcement personnel to a new program called “Training, Locks and Communication” aimed at making the campus even more secure. 
     Other insights Garnett learned from attending the luncheon included the university’s investment in updating radios and switches, which are allowing law enforcement agencies to better communicate with one another.
    Corporal Brandon Lovelady, the public information officer for the Starkville Police Department, said their main concern is helping keep the flow of traffic moving in one direction instead of becoming backed up.
   Lovelady says to expect delays north and south. Sections of Starkville will be blocked off from campus to Louisville Street to allow smoother exiting after the game.
    Increased patrolling will also be in force for the Labor Day weekend. Corporal Lovelady said those wishing to partake in alcoholic beverages should have a plan which includes a designated driver.
   Lovelady recommends motorists be careful, watch out for pedestrians and secure valuables. Many auto burglaries occur from unlocked vehicle doors. He also advises to, know your surroundings.
    “Don’t go to unfamiliar places alone, take a friend,” Lovelady said.